level a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
i've got to level a floor. the old floor has sunk quite a bit in some places 25mm it was origanaly ruabon reds 150mm tiles but over the years its had various stuff put on top.

i have stripped the vinal tiles of but the stuff it was stuck down with is putting up a good fight, its a tar like substance. i've got as much as possible off, my real question is do i need to seal/prime the floor area with something before i use self leveling compound to get a good bond and in the deeper parts should i add sharp sand to the mix

Sponsored Links
in the deeper parts should i add sharp sand to the mix

i would fill in the deeper voids up front with mortar. say sharp sand 5:1

1've got as much as possible off, my real question is do i need to seal/prime the floor area

difficult one. i would say no go straight on with the self leveller. make sure you use the latex or equivalent as it minimises hairline cracking. suggest 1st doing a trial to make sure by putting a spread of the mortar over a bad area and see how hard to pull up 24hrs on.

are the tiles damp at all as given the floor has sunk in places would expect no dpm. if so i don't really have any suggestions (i am able to use a tanking material from my trade) other than to search this site and try your local builders merchants.

also you need to be sure the sub floor is now stable otherwise the topping will unfortunately crack over time (4" of concrete and a proper spec is what's technically needed but a big job).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back