leveling large floor area for insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

i need to level about 60m2 of my bungalow so that i can put down 80mm celotex which will have underfloor heating then 80mm screed on top, is there a best way to do this?

cheers
jon

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about a sloping floor or irregularities in the floor ?

In either case give us some indication of the extent of the problem as well as the composition of the existing floor.

existing floor is mainly concrete and screed
the floor is sloping,
should i get a lazer level in first to find out how uneven the floor is?

Sponsored Links
Since the floor is sloping and you are having UFH, then I would say the best solution is having a self-levelling screed poured.

There are limitations imposed by the degree of slope and screed thickness. Don't know if it applies to all anhydrite screeds, but the spec for mine said a minimum of 3 cm coverage on the pipe and a maximum height differential of 3 cm over the floor area.

With a 16 mm pipe , this meant 5 cm min and 8 cm max.

Don't know relative prices for mortar-screed vs self-levelling in the UK, but was little different for me in France.

As stated above, you need to know total difference as it may rule out some solutions. If the self-levelling interests you, do check with suppliers as there are differing specs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back