LG Dishwasher - Sandy Residue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Our dishwasher is now 8 years old. Love it, but its starting to give us some trouble :rolleyes:
After each wash (no matter the program), it leaves a sandy deposit. The deposit is only in the top and the performance itself is still good (albeit the wracks starting to rust where the odd bit of coating has come off).
We've done two of those dishwasher cleaners that you can buy, within a week, but it hasn't improved anything.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Or is it about time we replaced it (along with the microwave from the other post!).

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the salt additive chamber is filled with dishwasher salt.....This is the water softening system. This should solve the sand problem after a couple of cycles.
John :)

sandy residue is food particles. Are all the filters (there may be three) clean and undamaged?

Take out the spinners. Is anything caught inside? (you may need to refer to the instructions)

Thanks Folks.

Burnerman: Salt is always topped up, but thank you.

JohnD: I know my wife cleaned some things and with the filter cleaners used, it still seems to give the residue.
I also took off the arm feeding the top tray, cleaned, but still residue came out (you can see it a little on the top of the arm itself).
Would the drainage be effecting things?
Wondered whether the motor was damaged or something mechanical?

Sponsored Links
We get it if a container has flipped over trapping water it is residue from the soap, we just rince under the tap, you could try changing powder / tablets or use the liquid gel type ones to see if that helps.

Thanks Footprints.
Its always happening every wash, but nothing is tipped up.
We have used lots of different brands of tablets and gels, but nothing makes a difference.
Will try another filter clean, possible drain and if its still doing it, buy a new one.

check the instructions in case there is an extra filter you have missed. Is any filter torn or damaged?

I will be very surprised if it's the machine, is it fed by tank or mains?
Worth looking in the tank anyway sand is often washed in from the mains you will see it at the bottom of the tank..
Have you looked in the filter where the water enters the back of the machine usually a mesh one there if that has sand the problem may be with your supply.

Well, filters all checked, clean and no damage.
Arms checked. Clean and no damage.
No visible entry of residue coming in to the machine either.

We did notice that there is water at the bottom of the dishwasher (underneath the filters, so not in the main chamber of the dishwasher).
Is this a possible cause?
Is it normal to have water here?

Failing that, and what we have already looked at and done, just time for a new dishwasher?

does the waste hose connect to the sink trap?

If so open the dwr, take the filters out so you can see the sump, fill the sink to the brim, pull the plug out. Does sink water enter the dwr?[/b]

Hi Footprints.

Tried that already a few times, but still leaving residue.

Hi John.

The dishwasher feeds in to tubing that then feeds in o the sink tubing about 2-2.5 feet underneath the sink (then away out of the kitchen).
For the feed to go in to the dishwasher from the sink, it would need to travel down, feed to the right, around a few bends, up another piece of tube then up the dishwasher (if that makes sense); it would essenitally need to defy gravity and would also be coming out of other unclosed ends of tube.

Thinking the pump (or something similar) might be on the way out?
It is a nine years old now.

Hi,

I had a similar problem and stopped using salt and dishwasher tablets. I live in a soft water area and didn't need the salt or half the other things they add to the tablets.

I just used the powder (can't rem brand) that morrisons sells. Came in a yellow tub I think.

After cleaning the dishwasher by running an empty cycle, opening half one full and pouring a bottle of distiller malt vinegar inside. This took all the residue out and made my house smell like a chippy, but it worked.

Tablets have stuff other than the detergent in them and I attributed the sand to them.

Hope this helps

Graeme

Eta just looked it up it's called finish dishwasher powder classic

Did everything we could. Cleaned, cleaned again. Hot washes, filters changed.
Nothing.
Still sandy residues.

Its nine years old so have given up on it. Time for a new dishwasher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back