Life is created in a lab for the first time

Hmm, I think there may be a major misconception here, i.e. Brains are not binary computers. Simply having a mega number cruncher is not the same as sentience. Doesn't matter how many cycles or processors you add.

There is a hell of a long way top go, and personally, I don't think we're even on the right track yet.

Edit:

Just read about tecnological singularity from good old wikipedia. I will sleep sound tonight, and for the rest of my life. Not an ice cubes.

Were closer than you think.

If we can already do a partial cats brain simulation, and computer power is doubling every 1.2 years, then I would estimate human brain simulation by 2020. The next step is AI, which implies sentience. The big debate really is whether the technological singularity is a consequence of AI sentience, or vice versa, but either way my money is on 2050 +/- 10 years.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I think it's all nonsense. To answer a question, you need to know first what the question is, we haven't even got near that yet.

Doubling in computer power every 30 seconds is not going to get close ever to anwsering the question (undefined). Having read (a little) about Technological singularities, well my snap verdict..... Laughable.

Lincsbodger said:
either way my money is on 2050 +/- 10 years
You might be right. I'm certainly not going to make any predictions forty years into the future. Who, in 1945, could have predicted that we would all be buying German cars and Japanese TVs just 25 years later? :eek: :eek: :eek:

But you have to admit that your prediction makes a nonsense of that graph which clearly shows, as it always has, that the technological singularity will have happened by the time you read this. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS: 2050 ± 10 sounds about right for K-Star. Not sure about the orgasmatron though. :( :( :(

Lincsbodger said:
You might be right. I'm certainly not going to make any predictions forty years into the future. Who, in 1945, could have predicted that we would all be buying German cars and Japanese TVs just 25 years later? :eek: :eek: :eek:

But you have to admit that your prediction makes a nonsense of that graph which clearly shows, as it always has, that the technological singularity will have happened by the time you read this. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

PS: 2050 ± 10 sounds about right for K-Star. Not sure about the orgasmatron though. :( :( :(

right, but this isnt a personal theory, its a branch of science with hundreds if not thousands of highly intelligent scientists who subscribe to the idea, were not talking SUN readers.

Sponsored Links
Lincsbodger said:

right, but this isnt a personal theory, its a branch of science with hundreds if not thousands of highly intelligent scientists who subscribe to the idea, were not talking SUN readers.

Which doesn't have the support of Stephen Hawking, amongst others.

Lincsbodger said:

Which doesn't have the support of Stephen Hawking, amongst others.

I dont know, ive never checked....do you have a link where he dismisses the idea ?

Back