Lifting a floorboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for helping me with the pipe bending tips. I have another situation I would like help with also please. I need to lift up some floorboards soon - are there any special tools/ways to do this without damaging anything? I have never lifted any up before, so sorry if I sound dumb!!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've just finished re-laying a Tongue and Grooved floor. If yours is the same then I don't think you can lift any of them without damaging at least a few.

If they are just straight edged floorboards try using a small sized wood corer to core around the nails/screws. This should allow you to lift one board and lever up it's neighbours.

I ended up using a Gorilla bar to get the 5 inch nails in mine out!

ummm interesting. if you have to cut them though how do you replace them again? all this to get to a pipe !!!! :)

Sponsored Links
if you cut along the joining line of two boards your just cutting the tongue of then the boards can be lifted and replaced.

But don't cut too deep.... unless you've always fancied your own Spring! :LOL:

About 18mm deep with the circular saw at first, then a mm at a time. Haven't nicked a pipe yet (famous last words !! :LOL: )

I have a Bosch multitool and used that last time. Preferred it to the circular saw.

I have a Bosch multitool and used that last time. Preferred it to the circular saw.

see that advertised the other week are they any good for basic jobs not floorboards as i imagine it will takes weeks and still not a straight line.

see that advertised the other week are they any good for basic jobs not floorboards as i imagine it will takes weeks and still not a straight line.

Bloody great imo. Have used it to cut floorboard traps access (a little slow but does the job with precision - you have to move the blade back and forth as it vibrates at high speed) and also used for cutting up a cwsc in loft (plastic) to get it out through tiny hole. I also used it to cut a square out of the back of a kitchen unit. £59 B&Q.

the trouble is that there no such tool that will lift a tongue and groove board.
yes there are tools that can make it easier
dead basic method, cut the board then wallop the tongue out with a balster chisel.
circular saw across and cut the tongue.
my prefered method was a jigsaw.
but it takes years of experience and confidence to be able to do it. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back