Light bulbs ban

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when light bulbs get taken off shelves in 2010, are elv lamps going to be removed as well? I know they are classed as energy saving?

Sponsored Links
ELV's aren't low energy lamps, just low voltage.
As far as I know, all incandescent lamps will be banned. I think 100W GLS lamps are already off the shelves - certainly round here they are.

As far as I know, all incandescent lamps will be banned.
so what you going to use for your car headlights ;)

as Halogen incandescent lamps have a slightly better efficiency than normal tungsten ones there is a chance they will hang round longer (in terms of house hold lamps, I was only joking about the car thing, they're here to stay for cars already produced).

but i dont actually know either way.

It's just the least efficient 'ordinary' tungsten bulbs that are being phased out for the time being.

Bulbs greater than 100W have already started to be phased out. Next to be phased out will be the standard shaped bulbs (usually called A-shaped) that are used in most homes.

Type of light bulb Date participating retailers will stop selling them
75-100W A-shaped Jan 2009
60W A-shaped Jan 2010
40W A-shaped Jan 2011
60W golfball-shaped and candle-shaped Jan 2011

Sponsored Links
Notice phrases like "taken off the shelves", "started to be phased out", "participating retailers".

There is no ban - the sale of incandescent lamps is still legal.

my supplier said the legislation was to stop the production of incandescent bulbs in europe, nothing about the rest of the world.

I think we will be buying from china from now on, if that is the case.

I think spot lights will have to get a damn site better, i put in a load of led ones, but the were s h i t so took them all out again and put halogen ones in instead.

The CFL spots my mother has take 5 mins to warm up, so arent really up to quick bathroom usage..

b l o o d y rules...

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressRelease...format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

i put in a load of led ones, but the were s h i t so took them all out again and put halogen ones in instead.
Theres a lot of crap LED ones around, there a re a few good ones but the are not cheap, for bright ones its still a bit chicken and egg, in that pepole need to buy them to get the price down and the price needs to come down for people to buy them.

The CFL spots my mother has take 5 mins to warm up, so arent really up to quick bathroom usage..
again there are a lot of crap CFL's on the market, and some good ones.

I think we will be buying from china from now on, if that is the case.
so youve tried craply made/ designed LEDs, and craply made/ designed CFLs now your going to try craply made halogens :?:

my supplier said the legislation was to stop the production of incandescent bulbs in europe, nothing about the rest of the world.

I think the USA are planning removing them from 2012. (Not 240v anyway.) Don't know about China.

ELV's aren't low energy lamps, just low voltage.

I know, but I think in the rule that says 25% of your lamps in a new install must be low energy, it considers ELV's as low energy, I supose that's neither here or there.

According to what I have read 40 lumen's per circuit-Watt is the demarcation mark between energy saving and non energy saving.
This will not include the little spot lights.
It also includes the gear used to run it so transformer losses need to be included.
it also says in our rules that equipment must be supported for I think 7 years so until they stop selling dimmer switches bulbs will be required and will still be required 7 years after.
So not really thought out is it?

ncoups, you should read up on Building Regs Part L.

this considers that only lamps that have an efficacy of greater than 40 lumens per circuit-watt can be considered as 'low energy'.

Para 44 specifically states that GLS Tungsten lamps and Tungsten Halogen Lamps do not meet this requirement. It makes no reference to ELV lighting.

Dam you ericmark. Too slow :cry:

I think spot lights will have to get a damn site better, i put in a load of led ones, but the were s h i t so took them all out again and put halogen ones in instead.
I want to see one of these in the flesh, but on paper they look very good:

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/gb/en/products_new_products_29059.htm

http://www.thornlighting.co.uk/download/Base_LED_Brochure.pdf

Crap lamps - I've got CFLs which take less than 20s to reach full brightness.

ncoups, you should read up on Building Regs Part L.

this considers that only lamps that have an efficacy of greater than 40 lumens per circuit-watt can be considered as 'low energy'.

Para 44 specifically states that GLS Tungsten lamps and Tungsten Halogen Lamps do not meet this requirement. It makes no reference to ELV lighting.
TTC, you should read up on the difference between the Building Regulations and the Approved Documents. ;)

The Building Regulations, i.e. the law, do not mention a minimum lumens per circuit-watt figure.

I guess this might be the flipside for people whose council ignore the advice on charging for inspections, or forcing applicants to pay for electricians to inspect - "Well you don't take any notice of the Approved Documents, so how can you expect me to?". :evil:

I know, but I think in the rule that says 25% of your lamps in a new install must be low energy
This is what the rule says:

L1 Reasonable provision shall be made for the
conservation of fuel and power in buildings
by─
(a) limiting heat gains and losses─
(i) through thermal elements and
other parts of the building fabric;
and
(ii) from pipes, ducts and vessels used
for space heating, space cooling
and hot water services;
(b) providing and commissioning energy
efficient fixed building services with
effective controls; and
(c) providing to the owner sufficient
information about the building, the
fixed building services and their
maintenance requirements so that the
building can be operated in such a
manner as to use no more fuel and
power than is reasonable in the
circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back