Light fittings burnt!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem where the wall-lights in just two downstairs rooms have burnt and melted. I have no problems in other rooms.

Living room and hallway - all the light fittings have burnt. They are BTC Hector wall-lights, which take 40w golfballs, and have a porcelain shade that is held in place by a plastic nut on a plastic screw fitting. I don't use these lights anywhere else in the house.

We lose a lot of bulbs in these lights - they need changing every six weeks or so. Sometimes the glass of the bulbs falls out, leaving the metal screw fitting in the light.

I noticed today that, over time, the plastic screw fittings have burnt, and crumble to the touch. They can no longer hold the shades, so the bare lights look ugly.

I've had these about two years, and they've always been a problem.

Does anyone have any advice on whether this is likely to be a fault with the light fittings themselves, or perhaps with my electrics?

Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like poor fittings. The damage is due to overheating by the sound of it. Also if you go through bulbs at that rate you are using cheap bulbs

Get the light fittings replaced. Plastic will eventually deteriorate like this with heat from light bulbs, but for 40W to do for them in two years suggests really c**p plastic.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Energy saving lamps don't run as hot - worth looking at a fitting which will take these lamps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back