Light Point for new room

rwb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have created a new storage room at the rear of an integrated garage which is being done with a warrant (Scotland).

We need to fit a new light point & switch in the new room which is difficult from the existing home lighting circuit and will be very expensive.

There is a light in the garage but if the new light is run from there it would be switched by the existing switches which are too high to conform with current regs (900 - 1100mm high).

Is it possible to take a supply from a 13a circuit through a 3 or 5amp fused spur for the light and would this conform to current regs?

Or how difficult is it to lower the garage light switches in terms of extending/jointing cables, is that allowed? It would mean the new room light coming on with the garage light, that's OK.

I'd just like to know what is possible before we obtain some estimates.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is a light in the garage but if the new light is run from there it would be switched by the existing switches which are too high to conform with current regs (900 - 1100mm high).
In England, there are no requirements in relation to heights of switches etc. in existing buildings and, indeed, only 'guidelines' (not mandatory 'requirements) in relation to new builds. I can't speak for Scotland.
Is it possible to take a supply from a 13a circuit through a 3 or 5amp fused spur for the light and would this conform to current regs?
It certainly would in England. Very common.
Or how difficult is it to lower the garage light switches in terms of extending/jointing cables, is that allowed?
As above, are you sure that would be required in Scotland?

Kind Regards, John

Morning John

Thanks for your responses which are helpful. At least I now know it's not unsafe to use the 13a circuit. But whether the same goes in Scotland???

Regs in Scotland insist on any new work - light switches must be at height of 900 - 1100mm. ( I guess to make them more accessible for wheelchair users etc.). But that was insisted on by BC for the warrant.

Regards, Bob.

In Wales and I think also England when the LABC is involved they can insist on things which are not really part of the building regulations, in my case although building regulations did not required an extraction fan, the LABC insisted one was fitted.

Thermostats in the Part P should be exactly 1200 mm as the reach part says not above, and the sight part says not below, but most of mine are around 200 mm as built into the TRV and that is true of many new homes, so the inspector has to be flexible, so where a problem is encountered the normal is to ask the inspector what he will permit, as they tend to use some common sense and allow things to be mounted higher or lower when there is a good reason for doing so.

Some are pedantic I will admit, but I mounted sockets low where the bed head would go, and he picked this up, and I said it was so under the hight of the bed so bed would not damage them when pushed to wall and he accepted it. But had I said because I think they look right at that height likely would be rejected.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ericmark
You are right that BC can be accommodating at times and I have often benefitted from some flexibility from them. Like you said you have to give them good reason and they often permit variations.

However on this occasion they insisted on height of 900 - 1100mm for the switch which had to appear on the drawings they stamped on approval of the warrant. (BS 7671: 2008).

However on this occasion they insisted on height of 900 - 1100mm for the switch which had to appear on the drawings they stamped on approval of the warrant. (BS 7671: 2008).
To the best of my knowledge, neither BS7671:2008 nor BS7671:2018 say anything about the heights of switches/sockets etc., other than that sockets should be high enough to minimise the risk of mechanical damage.

Recommendations (not 'requirements') regarding the heights of such accessories exist, for England and Wales, in Approved Document M, which is guidance relating to Part M of the (England and Wales) Building Regs (which, as I said previously does not relate to work in existing buildings0. I know nothing about Scotland.

Kind Regards, John

Also - if BC can be "accommodating at times", surely it means that the item in question cannot be governed by the specific strict regulation that people think it is.

Thanks for the various responses.

It looks like the regs in Scotland were changed in 2007 where they stipulated these heights for light switches. And as it was insisted on during warrant application process I feel I have to go with it.

So my question was regarding the possibility of using the ring main for power source (via 3/5amp fused switch) (John has already confirmed this should be ok and hopefully that would be the case in Scotland too)
or,
using the existing garage light for power source and then lowering the existing garage light switch to comply with height spec. The question here is how practical or safe would it be to do this as it would require extending existing cables by joining extensions to existing. (Cables come down from ceiling to switch as normal)

Thanks

It looks like the regs in Scotland were changed in 2007 where they stipulated these heights for light switches. And as it was insisted on during warrant application process I feel I have to go with it.
Fair enough. As I've said, I know nothing of Scotland.
So my question was regarding the possibility of using the ring main for power source (via 3/5amp fused switch) (John has already confirmed this should be ok and hopefully that would be the case in Scotland too)
Indeed - as I've said,in Englkand it would be OK, and common - and, as I also said, BS7671 is obviously the same in all parts of the UK.
... or ... using the existing garage light for power source and then lowering the existing garage light switch to comply with height spec. The question here is how practical or safe would it be to do this as it would require extending existing cables by joining extensions to existing. (Cables come down from ceiling to switch as normal)
Only you can tell us about 'how practical', but it would be 'safe' (and acceptable in England) provided only that the joining of the cables was done in an acceptable and competent manner - and there's several ways that could be done.

It is, in my opinion, rather amazing that 'they' are getting so 'bureaucratic' about the height of a light switch in the store room of a garage. They presumably have 'nothing better to do'?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks again John for taking the time to explain everything. That helps me greatly to move ahead knowing the options available. It will be interesting to see what some of the local electricians come up with, there may be other alternatives, we'll see.

Your comment about the bureaucrats is spot on. It would be so much easier if we had one set of UK regs for all the UK.

Thanks again for all your time, Bob.

Thanks again John for taking the time to explain everything. That helps me greatly to move ahead knowing the options available. It will be interesting to see what some of the local electricians come up with, there may be other alternatives, we'll see.
You're welcome but, as you imply, you really need to speak to electricians in Scotland to find out what the situation (both in theory and in practice) is in your country.
Your comment about the bureaucrats is spot on. It would be so much easier if we had one set of UK regs for all the UK.
Indeed, provided that the UK-wide regs were sensible- since I really don't think it's sensible to fuss about the height of a light switch in a garage store room in any country!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back