Light sockets 'vibrating'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Can any body tell me or suggest as to why my light switch in the kitchen, feels like it vibrating. Both myself and my mum can both feel it when the lights are on, but two other people (and one is a fully qualified electrician ) think we're taking the p!$$ and can't feel a thing.
The switch operates a set of spot lights and it's made from what I think is stainless. There is also a seperate plastic switch at the other end of the room for the same circuit.
any help on this is gratefully received......

Foz

Sponsored Links
Do you feel this if you rub your finger on the switch? As if you're rubbing a piece of dry velevet or suede?

I've felt this on an old installation, I thought it was due to poor earthing giving a voltage leak to the accessory. Maytbe the people who don't feel it are wearing rubber-soled shoes?

yep..it's feels just like putting your finger on your lips and start to hum.
Not that i do that, that often ;)

I sometimes hum against the wife's lips, but that's another story.

Sponsored Links
I have had this of the metal front of my HIFI minidisc machine. It is a brand name and also a double insulated appliance. Used it elsewhere recently and it didn't do it. How odd

ban-all-sheds said:
Is the faceplate earthed?
well at the moment we just have a big holein the wall where the fire should be. Why do you ask.. would it make any difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back