light switch replacement, 2 black & 2 red wires

Yes there is a line as it is a double switch,
line goes

L2 L1 | com
com | L2 L1
Yo - sorry - dunno what I was thinking - for some reason I kept wanting to imagine the line going at a different angle.

Brain fade.

Not as bad though, as that suffered by whoever thought this would do something useful:

screenhunter05oct101636.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did you measure the wires one at a time (i.e. disconnected) with one probe on the wire and one probe on a known earth (i.e. back-box if properly earthed)?

CAREFULLY.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what else to say.

If the light is not 'very dim' then you must have 240V on the live (red ?) wire(s).

I don't know what else to say.

If the light is not 'very dim' then you must have 240V on the live (red ?) wire(s).

lol, ok now i am confused, did not think of that.
it is powering 2 roses with 5 9w energy savers, very very bright.

thanks again for everyone's help

Darren.

as a novice to electrics (or cos im scared of them) i use a bleeper live tester - it bleeps and flashes when live connection found.

You would ideally have 1 permanent live in your switch (from the meter), another will BECOME live when the switch is turned on. Usually there is another wire that comes out the same cable where the permanent live is coming from and that is the netural..

CAREFUL tho... when you replace switches, they keep changing the backs of them and its a pain for a novice to work out i.e. the layout or which should be the netural for the main live and for the ring...

as a novice to electrics (or cos im scared of them) i use a bleeper live tester - it bleeps and flashes when live connection found.
Throw it away and buy a proper tester.

You would ideally have 1 permanent live in your switch (from the meter),
From the meter?

Hopefully not.

another will BECOME live when the switch is turned on. Usually there is another wire that comes out the same cable where the permanent live is coming from and that is the netural..
No.

Usually there is not.

CAREFUL tho... when you replace switches, they keep changing the backs of them and its a pain for a novice to work out i.e. the layout or which should be the netural for the main live and for the ring...
What does "netural (sic) for the main live" mean?

And what ring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back