light switch set up - just want to double check

Sponsored Links
One potential complication is that, as we have discovered during previous discussions, it seems that there is by no means universal agreement (at least, amongst the general public) as to what position of the rocker of a rocker switch should be 'on' and what position should be 'off'.
I disagree. I think you are taking your fair-mindedness too far again. I do not know anyone who does not think that to turn ON a switch entails a downward motion of the finger - unlike the U.S.
We must know different people. I certainly know some who think in terms of horizontal movement, rather than the vertical movement to which you refer, and think that 'pushing in at the top' is a logical way to switch something on. Some may also think that the fact that the bottom of the rocker 'comes out' in that position is in some way analogous to a toggle switch being in the 'bottom' position when 'on'.
A one-way switch, if not actually stating 'TOP', will have writing on it which, unless the manufacturer has chosen to write it upside down, will indicate the orientation and the switching as above.
That's probably true, but I was talking about the expectations of the user (who cannot see that writing), not the installer.
The complication is only brought about by modern consumer units - older ones are very clear, the reason for which I am not sure - gravity assisting off operation?
Has it not 'always' been the case that isolators (at least in the context of 'switchgear') had to be 'down=off' - not so much because gravity then assists the off operation but, rather, to avoid something falling on the lever switching the circuit 'on' (which may be what you meant)? It's certainly true of, say, insulated Wylex Standard main switches, dating from the 70s if not earlier - so hardly restricted to 'modern' ones.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back