Light Switch shock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using a light fitting in the kitchen which has 4 50W halgen GU10's at 230ac. When one of the bulbs goes, it is usually when you go to switch the light on and it causes a spark/noise/shock at the switch. Any ideas to stop it happening again?

thanks

sesi

Sponsored Links
most bulbs blow when they are switched on?

OK, but is the spark/noise at the switch normal? My son is getting afraid to turn the lights on for fear of it happening again.

Also forgot to mention that it also blows the fuse in the consumer unit.

many thanks

sesi52 said:
OK, but is the spark/noise at the switch normal? My son is getting afraid to turn the lights on for fear of it happening again.

Also forgot to mention that it also blows the fuse in the consumer unit.

many thanks

when a bulb blows there is loads of power goes thru. partially where you get the spark/noise from. and because of the high current, itll trip an MCB. use type C* to avoid the trippin

*providing earth loop is low enough

Sponsored Links
sesi52 said:
OK thanks. Will this stop the spark/noise at switch..?

No, there is quite a big fault current* when a bulb blows, switching a big current, especially with a light duty (pun not intended) switch will result in arcing (accually switching any current will result in arcing, but its usually very small), you could try replaceing the switch, its possible that the current (yes, pun not intended again!!) one is quite worn, changing to a new one is likely to reduce the arcing

Changing the breaker to a C type is the solution to stop it tripping when the bulb blows

(*-In terms of currents usually found on domestic lighting circuits)

I had this situation recently, when there was a complaint of receiving shocks from the plastic lighting switch in a kitchen, with earthenware tiled floor. I found that the metal lighting switch back box was live on this older, unearthed, conduited, VRI cabled installation.
The lighting switch fixing screws were live!
Jaymack

I have to say it sounds like the switch is faulty if it sparks when switching on.
Whether it is faulty or not, it wouldn't cost much to try a new one.

Switch only sparks when one of the bulbs goes. Have bought a new switch anyway and will be changing to Osram or Philips with internal fuse rather than Homebase cheapo range. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back