light switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
before anyone says read the sticky, i have :) :p

not new to electrics so this is somewhat confusing me, basically have a new build extension with lots of spot lights everywhere, myself and a mate are doing the electrics (hes a qualified sparky, im on a course to become one)

anyway, all first fix done, coming to do some of the second fix (mates on holiday atm :mad:) and the two way lighting is confusing me, i know how to do normal two way lighting with a switch wire. But, this wiring has been done with the live at the switch, maybe its because its gone 2am, and im trying to do this, but i cant work out how to :oops:

for arguments sake, back box one has, 2&E feed, 2&E to first spot, the 3&E to back box two, and this would be the only cable in the box

I know neutral from feed and spots go together, and would be live from feed in common, then live to spots in L1

Just not sure how i use the 3 core to get to the other switch, and for it to work

I will harass my mate when i have time tomorrow, but didn't think he'd appreciate a 2/3am call when hes on holiday XD

so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Memster

Sponsored Links
You use the 3 core & e to exactly connect all switch terminals to the other switch terminals.
So COM to COM.
L1 to L1
L2 to L2

The live then coonects to L1
The light to L2

two-way-real.bmp

Does that help?

Sponsored Links
must be another issue some where:/

have COM to COM

L1 to L1

L2 to L2

The feed live to L1

The light live to L2

doesn't work

dodgy drawing of how ive wired it

lights dont come on at all when wired to the switches. if i wire it "normally" then the switch works, its when i try to add the second switch that they wont come on.

Well could be :

1) That cable between the switches doesn't come out at the switch you think it does.

Are there any other 3 core and E cables about ?

2) switch broken. (unlikely)

memster

cockneykids diagram is not correct.

Your diagram with the fried egg is correct so there must be something else wrong.

memster

cockneykids diagram is not correct.

Your diagram with the fried egg is correct so there must be something else wrong.

ill look again later

i said that to a m8 of mine when i was drawing it XD still not got hold of my sparky mate, how dare he be on holiday when i need to sort summit lol

AndyPRK

Theres a lot, to say the least each switch is a 3g with virtually all of them being 2wayed, but this one was labeled sitting room 2 way. ill get the multi meter out for a check

its the same 3C&E in one box as in the other, and they are brand new switches. really confused now :(

is it worth trying cockneykids diagram?

Scrap that, just been told by my mate what ive done is right(the egg pic), he doesn't know why its not working, so hes gonna bring his tester round tomorrow :D

Update, doesnt make any sense but still; it is now working, disconnected everything at the main switch, reconnected em all. and now it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back