Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to change a light switch in the hallway of a house which has a 2 way switch. Unfortunately I did not take note of the wires and I am now not sure which is common , L1 or L2. I thought since they were all the same colour it did not matter. the living room and kitchen lights work but the hallway and bathroom lights no longer work so I assume they are on the same circuit. Any ideas how i can get them back into operation?

sheri

Sponsored Links
Something's not right if the bathroom light has stopped working as well.

Look in the For Reference section for details of how lighting circuits and two-way switches are wired.

What's at the other half of the 2-way switch pair?

need to know what colours you have, and how many cores.

Also, what does the switch operate, and can it be controlled from elsewhere??

Any connection in the back of the switch box in terminal blocks??

When you say 2 way, do you mean 2 way or 2 gang?

Lectrician said:
need to know what colours you have, and how many cores.

Also, what does the switch operate, and can it be controlled from elsewhere??

Any connection in the back of the switch box in terminal blocks??

When you say 2 way, do you mean 2 way or 2 gang?

The common/L1/L2 wires are all red. There are two switches operating the hallway light only which I think are called two way switches. I tried to replace one of the switches with a 2 way dimmer switch and it worked. I then tried to replace the second switch with a two way dimmer switch and it didnt work. So i tried to put the original sockets back and now nothing works.

Sponsored Links
sheri100 said:
The common/L1/L2 wires are all red. There are two switches operating the hallway light only which I think are called two way switches. I tried to replace one of the switches with a 2 way dimmer switch and it worked. I then tried to replace the second switch with a two way dimmer switch and it didnt work.
It won't, unless you used a master/slave dimmer pair - you can't connect two ordinary dimmers in a 2-way circuit.

What sort of light is it? It is OK for dimming? Not an energy saver?

So i tried to put the original sockets back and now nothing works.
Getting the connections wrong could easily stop the hall light from working, but not the bathroom as well, unless there is an odd connection between the hall switches and the bathroom switch...

What I am now trying to connect is one 2 way dimmer switch and one normal light switch with common/ L1 and L2. I now need to know how to identify the different wires since they are all the same colour?

I once changed my sockets in one room and they failed to work in another room. so I am assuming that the lights are running off of different circuits?

ban-all-sheds said:
sheri100 said:
The common/L1/L2 wires are all red. There are two switches operating the hallway light only which I think are called two way switches. I tried to replace one of the switches with a 2 way dimmer switch and it worked. I then tried to replace the second switch with a two way dimmer switch and it didnt work.
It won't, unless you used a master/slave dimmer pair - you can't connect two ordinary dimmers in a 2-way circuit.

What sort of light is it? It is OK for dimming? Not an energy saver?

So i tried to put the original sockets back and now nothing works.
Getting the connections wrong could easily stop the hall light from working, but not the bathroom as well, unless there is an odd connection between the hall switches and the bathroom switch...

sheri100 said:
I once changed my sockets in one room and they failed to work in another room. so I am assuming that the lights are running off of different circuits?
ban-all-sheds said:
Look in the For Reference section for details of how lighting circuits and two-way switches are wired.

ban-all-sheds said:
sheri100 said:
ban-all-sheds said:

is there not an easy way to identify the Com wire? It may be that there is another problem but if I can at least check this it will be a help

For the bathroom light to stop working, I would assume the switches must be looped. Is there a neutral in terminal blocks in the rear of the switch??

How many reds do you have?? No other colours at all??

Of these reds, how many are grouped in the sheaths of the cable??

What I mean is this:

cable.GIF

I dont expect you to say the top one.......I would be VERY suprised :!:

Lectrician said:
For the bathroom light to stop working, I would assume the switches must be looped. Is there a neutral in terminal blocks in the rear of the switch??

How many reds do you have?? No other colours at all??

Of these reds, how many are grouped in the sheaths of the cable??

What I mean is this:

cable.GIF

I dont expect you to say the top one.......I would be VERY suprised :!:

There is only a earth wire attached to the metal box. all other wires are red. i think i have the bottom combination. If i can identify the Com wire I should be able to work out the L1 and L2. If this does not work then there is anothe problem but i need to find out first?

thanks for all the help will try out tomorrow. If i disconnect one of the switches should it be possible for the other switch to operate the light?

With my neon screwdriver I have tried to identify the live wire and unfortunately none of the wires light up on either switch. Tested one of the lights that work and the screwdriver lit up. so what next do i do. If i havent short circuited anything then what might possibly be the answer?

ban-all-sheds said:
Use your multimeter...
sheri100 said:
With my neon screwdriver I have tried to identify
neon screwdriver, chocolate fireguard, the 2 are linked, can you figure out how?

a multimeter is a must when trying to find what wire does what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back