Light switches, no earth in wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some light switches from B&Q, not thinking about the front plate being metal, as there is no earth in my lighting wiring, so I am unable to use them, plus I cannot return them as I have mislaid the receipt, not even to swap them for replacements. I have now decided to not use B&Q as when I phoned and asked they said it would be fine to return them for a credit note, but when I got to the store I was told no, so now looking online at Homebase and I was wondering if I would be able to use the item in the link with no earth. The reason I ask is that they look white plastic but the description says coated steel plate, so I thought I would get advice from people that would know. I have included another link, which as a grey surround to the white switches, which I would prefer to use, but would use the plain white one if I could not use the one with the grey surround.

I apologise if it seems like a silly question, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

I would prefer to use this one, also have a single gang switch to replace as well.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=081826

If I could only use this one then fine, as not sure if the grey surround on the above is metal or coloured plastic.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=770239

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Sponsored Links
Very hard to say for sure if either of those require an earth connection - but my gut reaction would be yes, they require an earth, as steel plate is mentioned - so should not be used.

I've always been able to take stuff back at B&Queue without a receipt, in exchange for a credit note.

You ought to be thinking about rewiring your lighting, it's possible there's no earth at the light fittings either, which is no good if you have metal light fittings.

Maybe you could go to Homebase and have a closer inspection at the switches.

Also be aware your old wiring may have shallow back boxes, and that some fancy modern switches may be a bit chunky at the back.

Items which can be used will have a
60px-Double_insulation_symbol.svg.png
Class II symbol and I know I had problems with my mothers house finding items marked Class II as even the screws holding on the switch need the plastic bungs to stop access which was really annoying as celling had been down and whole kitchen rewired but electricians missed the lights.

I suppose we should not be surprised the rules changed in early 1960's and all houses should have been inspected at least 5 times so all owners should have had plenty of time to get it corrected but I had not even thought about it in my parents house.

Loads of double insulated lights but the switch is another thing could not find any advertised as double insulated. So I think in real terms it's plastic switch with concealed fixing screws or some white silicone sealant put over them once fitted.

Sponsored Links
I have now decided to not use B&Q as when I phoned and asked they said it would be fine to return them for a credit note, but when I got to the store I was told no,

It's for occasions like this that I now routinely record all my phone calls.

Loads of double insulated lights but the switch is another thing could not find any advertised as double insulated. So I think in real terms it's plastic switch with concealed fixing screws or some white silicone sealant put over them once fitted.
What's the story if the back boxes are plastic? I've just fitted some MK light switches on MK back boxes and there's no CPC terminal on either the switch or the box. Even if there were, the screws wouldn't have continuity to the CPC.

What's the story if the back boxes are plastic? I've just fitted some MK light switches on MK back boxes and there's no CPC terminal on either the switch or the box. Even if there were, the screws wouldn't have continuity to the CPC.

The two fixing screws don't have to be earthed - take a regular plastic light switch and a regular plastic surface patress. Never a way of earthing the two screws.

When metal back boxes were used with wiring without a cpc in the 50s and early 60s, it was customary for the two fixing lugs to be made of nylon. The back box itself didn't have an earth, yet was not in contact with the two front fixing screws.

I have now decided to not use B&Q as when I phoned and asked they said it would be fine to return them for a credit note, but when I got to the store I was told no,

It's for occasions like this that I now routinely record all my phone calls.

Winston, Lighten up. Big Brother is not out to get YOU, not like your namesake :mrgreen:

I bought some light switches from B&Q, not thinking about the front plate being metal, as there is no earth in my lighting wiring, so I am unable to use them
Rather than spending money on new switches, it's well past the time to spend a lot more money on having the wiring replaced.

No earth = over 50 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back