light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D

Hi can anybody help i have 3 light switches that control a light at the top of the stairs, 1 downstairs on a 3 gang switch and two upstairs in the hall.

I'm in the process of changing the lightswitches from the standard white ones. the two switches im having trouble with are upstairs in the hall.
they are 1 Gang switches. one of them is an intermediate that has 4 red wires going to it two at the top two at the bottom.
the other switch is in the hall is probably a 1 gang double? whould this be correct?

the switches im trying to use are ordinary 1 gang double switches with an L1 L2 and comm from reading this informative forum i understand that the intermediate must be changed with another intermediate or the second switch in the hall wont work is this so?

if not how do i wire these switches, and i havent been able to find an intermediate to match the other switches can it be changed some how?
any help is greatly recieved

Sponsored Links
It needs to be an intermediate switch.......what type are you after?

??? 1 gang double ???

Just so we can continue to help you

a 2 gang switch = 2 switches on one switchplate
a 2 way switch = the switch you refer to as having 'L1, L2 & COM' on it
an intermediate switch = the one with 4 terminals that says 'intermediate' on it

eg a 4 gang 2 way switch has ....... Four 2 way switches on it.

INTERMEDIATE LIGHTING CIRCUIT LIVE PATH
If you follow the live path from the permanent live terminal in the ceiling rose (centre terminal) theres a single red to the COM in a 2 way switch, a two core red cable from L1 & L2 to the top 2 terminals of an intermediate switch, a two core red cable from the bottom 2 terminals of an intermediate switch to L1 & L2 of the second 2 way switch, lastly theres a single red on the COM going back to the ceiling rose switched live terminal.
SO YOU NEED AN INTERMEDIATE SWITCH

Sorry the switches are 1 gang 2 way switches,
they are jac antique georgian switches with a standard brown flip switch

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back