Light won't switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help please? My bathroom light won't switch off, I thought it was the pull cord switch so replaced it with a new one, but its still on permanently. Any adivce or ideas please?
Thanks. :confused:

Sponsored Links
have you altered any wiring in the fitting? has it always worked ok until recently? all i can think of is that the switch feed and return wires may have melted and shorted together or someone has put a nail through the switch wire while some work being done?

have you altered any wiring in the fitting? has it always worked ok until recently? all i can think of is that the switch feed and return wires may have melted and shorted together or someone has put a nail through the switch wire while some work being done?

Thanks, nothing has been altered and it has worked fine until this morning when the light wouldn't go off. Is it the light fitting I need to check for melted wiring, come to think of it it does get very hot!

Sponsored Links
yeh if its terminated in the fitting there will be the feed in (permanent live and neutral) and the switch wire which should be brown out from the feed live and brown sleeved blue return and maybe a loop to another light guessing the permanent live and switch return could be touching somehow or maybe the switch return has picked up a perm live from a faulty timer fan if thats what john is thinking

thanks for your help guys, I'll check out the fitting to make sure nothings touching and see if that fixes it.

look up the "how to wire lighting" //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553 and fit a new rose. identify and mark every single wire before you disconnect the old. white pvc tape and a permanent pen are useful for this. buy some green and yellow sheathing too in case the earth wires are bare.

also buy a large compact fluouescent lamp (energy saving bulb) which gets less hot.

no prob carefull when opening and fiddling around inside the fitting if it is likely to contain exposed melted live wires! would recommend switching the relavent circuit off at the consumer unit first and checking its all dead in there...

I've taken the fitting down, and boy was it hot!no obvious signs off fusing although the sleeve on both the live and neutral wires into the light fitting are slightly scorched. the wiring from the ceiling seems a mess.
there all the old colours:
3 reds into a block covered in tape
2 blacks (1 with a grey sleeve) in a block, this is where the neutral wire to the fitting came from.
1 black (with a pice of red tape around it) into a block where the live wire came from
and 2 earth wires into a taped block going nowhere.

I've just had another look at the live a netral wires into the fitting and at they seem rigid at the point their burnt. could this be the problem?

Apart from the tape, and the fact that there should be 3 earth wires joined together, that doesn't sound like a mess at all - it's what you'd expect.

A 4-terminal junction box would have been better than 4 bits of choc-block though.

But if that wiring is all sound, and there's no short between your switched live and permanent live then the fault lies elsewhere.

It can't be in the actual fitting - if those wires short then you have no lights on at all...

Apart from the tape, and the fact that there should be 3 earth wires joined together, that doesn't sound like a mess at all - it's what you'd expect.

A 4-terminal junction box would have been better than 4 bits of choc-block though.

But if that wiring is all sound, and there's no short between your switched live and permanent live then the fault lies elsewhere.

It can't be in the actual fitting - if those wires short then you have no lights on at all...

DOH, I just bought a new light fitting!
Thanks.

Thanks for everyone's help. Got it fixed. Its working having changed the light fitting, must have been short or something in the old fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back