Lighting circuit 3 terminal junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased my first house and giving it a full rewire (no not qualified but I am competent (some might say otherwiseJ) and I have informed building control so they can inspect and test when the work is complete. (I have a mate that works there)

My question is I am wiring the lighting circuit using the junction box method so I only have a live neutral and earth at each light fitting and was wondering if it is acceptable to use a 3 terminal 30amp junction box and then just crimp the switch wire? Then I can wire up say 3 lights in one box due to having more space and larger terminals.

Thanks Project1

Sponsored Links
That's why they make 4 terminal JBs.

And now ones like this:

ASJ501X.JPG

I suggest you use appropriate accessories.

I understand that I could use 4 terminal boxes but I am going to board the loft out so I have run all the cables to a central point so that the junction boxes will be accessible . I have 8 lights to switch so that would be 8 boxes if I use 4 terminal where as if I do the method explained in my original post I could use just 3 saving a few quid and time

Would the method I posted comply with all regulations.

Thanks

Shame you didn't allow time to look for a Hartley Octopus on eBay...

View media item 18749 View media item 18750
Basically your idea is tacky, and basing the design of your installation on trying to save a few quid is terrible. If you carry that forward throughout you'll end up with a sub-standard mess.

If you want everything in one place then get an enclosure with a DIN rail, and rail-mount terminals and jumpers as appropriate. Make a nice neat schematic on the computer and fix it inside of the lid of the enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Why not install feed through or in line switches - essentially the same method as you're proposing, but the switch becomes your 'jb' - everything is then perfectly accessible and you save a pile of money on the jb's!

SB

I can see the advantage of using this junction box method if you only want one cable feeding the lights and if you have switch drop conduits you wish to re-use.

I suppose the best way is to use a large adaptable box.

Your biggest challenge will be finding suitable connectors big enough for the perm live, neutrals and earths.

30 amp connector blocks are ok but when using 1.0 mm wire, some wires have a tendancy of slipping through the connector as you tighten it.

Cheers ban all sheds. I will make a metal enclosure (i have acces to steel press) and use a load of wango conectors (i use hundreds of them at work) then i can use link a load together for the perminent live nuteral and earth and put 8 in for the switch wires. Will number them up and draw a schamatic as u said.

cheers everyone for your help.

I will do as have an earth stud welder and normaly put 2 on in case one fails. Plus the wango earth terminals earth through the din rail but I don't like to rely on just them for a good earth.

Will make the box as will only take me 10 mins with the machines I have acces to at work.

Ye cheers for the correction ban all sheds I did mean wago. I have only ever seen the ones with 2 terminals each side once in a large pump control panel and they do look good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back