Lighting circuit and Low voltage lights!

Because the guidance you linked states that an non combustible material should be used and normal plasterboard isn't.
Thank you for highlighting the fact that gypsum burns - you've performed a useful service, as I doubt that many people knew that.

Sponsored Links
If it burns......why do they use it to achieve a 30 minute fire resistance rating?

downlights for a bathroom should be 'room sealed' type anyway
Even if they are that won't stop moist air going through the hole in the ceiling.

then a pipe above to keep insulation clear is all needed since no through flow of heat from room just convected heat from lamp with no moisture.
If only you could make more people see that - think of the money they would save by not putting insulation in their lofts, something which is obviously a complete waste, as no heat can get through plasterboard or thin layers of glass or metal.

better still do away with the hideous things and fit a proper bathroom light
You're not wrong there.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

I got what I got - downlighters (not room sealed type)! I want to make sure that I've not got a significant fire hazard and that I'm not going to rot my roof timbers.

Seems to me I need to enclose them - but don't know what to use.

If I can't use normal plasterboard, can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks

If it burns......why do they use it to achieve a 30 minute fire resistance rating?
Ask DCC - he's the one who thinks it burns.

Actually the makers do... 'Within national Building Regulations, plasterboard is
designated a ‘material of limited combustibility’. As a result of the performance achieved when tested to BS 476: Part 6: 1989 and BS 476: Part 7: 1997'

To become non combustible as specified you'd need something like 'Gyproc MultiBoard and Glasroc FireCase S are paperless, glass reinforced gypsum boards, which are designated as ‘non-combustible’ when tested to BS 476: Part 4: 1970 (1984)'.

From some of the things I've read here I would have thought you'd approve of following things precisely to the letter BAS ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back