Lighting circuit - change of wire diameter mid-way ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a 2009 built flat that came with some pendant lights and I set about replacing them with some fixed (bulb not replaceable) Aurora M7 LED downlights

I daisy-chained the new downlights to the existing feed. At the time I noticed the existing feed was 1.5mm2, though my new wire for the daisy-chaining is 1mm2. The cable runs through a suspended ceiling and isn't covered in insulation or anything

An electrician I've spoken to more recently said this wasn't a good idea, and that you should never change the diameter of the cable mid-way on a circuit.

The lighting circuit is on a 6A breaker
One set of lights has 8 x 7W lamps, the other has 6 x 7W lamps

I figured that the 1mm2 is fine for the 6A load. So is this electrician right or am I? Put another way, if I asked an electrician to sign off these minor works, would he be able to do so?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
1mm² T&E is fine - where is the joint (junction box?) though - because that has to be accessible.
The key point is that the current carrying capacity of the cable must be more than the MCB protecting the circuit. 1mm² T&E ccc is more than twice the 6A breaker.
Why does it need signing off?

1mm² T&E is fine - where is the joint (junction box?) though - because that has to be accessible.

I took the old 1.5mm2 feed to the first downlight, and daisychained the 1mm2 from there

The key point is that the current carrying capacity of the cable must be more than the MCB protecting the circuit. 1mm² T&E ccc is more than twice the 6A breaker.
Why does it need signing off?

Thanks, that's what I thought. I was asking about sign off to make sure that it's not only theoretically ok but ok under building regs too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back