Lighting circuit down after a switch off

No, they all went straight in.

What Questions ? I answered two with the photos, the other one I answered.

Sponsored Links
Amazing **** just went down, I screwed the three wires into the terminals (guess work, process of elimination) and when I pressed the light switch on, the kitchen lights came on !!! WTF ??!

I'm now confused as fook, I've had every possible combination bar the right one !

kitchen lights come on, bedroom light goes off (on the same click!), kitchen lights come on on correct switch, but bedroom doesnt come on at all, en suite lights havent come on under any combo (!) proper stumped.

Have you all gone to bed ?

Do you have a spare switch?
If you do it would be better to use that to 'do your guess testing' which cable goes where especially as the terminal marking for dimmers are confusing. Proper multi-meter testing is the best way by identifying the two live red cables and the third cable, the switch live, which becomes live when you turn the switch on.

If you do have a spare switch then identify the Common (C) and L1 terminals on that switch.

Then mark your three reds so that you can distinquish between them.

Lets call them 1,2 and 3,
Remember that 2 red cables together need to go in the C terminal and 1 red cable goes in the L1 terminal - No other combination is allowed.

Put 1&2 in C and 3 in L1 - if that doesn't sort it out fully then,
Put 1&3 in C and 2 in L1 - if that doesn't sort it out fully then
Put 2&3 in C and 1 in L1
Once you have identified the two loop cables then its a question of identifying what the terminals on your dimmer mean - I still go for ~ (with the arrow) is the Common and L1 is your switch live but...

Sponsored Links
So put 2 wires into one terminal ? leaving 1 terminal vacant ?
YES

You have three reds at that switch. Two of them go together in the same terminal - they are the cables that provide power to the rest of the circuit and would go in the common terminal.
The other red is your switch live that goes in the L1 terminal or whatever is the equivalent on the dimmer - that goes to turn your light on in the room your switch is in.

Ahh.....So that explains why its gone tits up, when I removed the plate, I noticed that one wire had become unattached, so I just whacked it back into the vacant terminal, presuming that it must have come from this, hence the lights suddenly not working in the two other rooms.

PART SUCCESS !!

I have wired two reds into the funny X marked terminal and one into L2, all lights now work correctly in each room, but the switch makes an abnormal buzzing sound, plus, problems piggy backing here, in the kitchen I have 2 x double 2 way switches, the second light in the kitchen is now buzzing and flickering as if a poltergeist is about to enter !

Woke this morning to find kitchen and bathrroom lights not working, but bedroom is ????? What could have changed overnight ?

You need to stop floundering around randomly connecting different wires to different terminals, hoping to hit on the right combination.

Go back to basics - get a multimeter, identify which conductors are which, learn how lighting circuits work, learn how your switches work, and via your knowledge and understanding wire it up correctly.

Ideally you need some form of test equipment, a multi-meter or two probe voltage tester would be handy. If you do not have one or can not get your hands on one. A standard rocker type switch would be good to have, so you could swap the switches over until you have got correct configuration. Failing that connection block could also help, with a bit dare I say it? Trail/error!
we can find the loop and the switch wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back