Lighting circuit for standing floor lamps....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're renovating our house, and the wife wants to have a number of standing floor lamps in the living room controlled by a light switch i.e. ceiling lights and separate lamps controlled by a 2 gang switch. Before I ask the sparks (oh this'll cost you boss....) what do I need to know? I've seen different types of wall sockets where I work for the lamps in the lobby - looks like 3 pin round plugs? Is this possible at home?

Thanks in advance,

Henrik

Sponsored Links
<------- Look left :rolleyes:

Henrik
dk.gif

In the UK you can do it. You can use 5amp round pin plugs and sockets. Unlike our splendid square-pin plugs they are unfused, so you must supply them either via an FCU at 5A, or from a lighting circuit (which is itself fused at 6A). Put plenty of the sockets in, so you can move the lamps around later.

Sponsored Links
JohnD

Many thanks. So am I right in thinking you can locate the 5a sockets in living room, controlled via light switch in room and all wired back to the downstairs lighting circuit at the consumer unit?

Henrik

p.s. moved to be with the wife....from DK originally!

Yes, though personally I would prefer a DP switch to an ordinary light switch. If you are ever likely to have small children in the room I think an RCD would be an advantage, which is more easily done on an FCU from the ring. Children can poke pens and things into round sockets and defeat the shutters more easily.

15A sockets i can see being easier to defeat because of the large earth hole but 5A ones i'd imagine would be at least as difficult as 13A ones.

Another way is to use FCUs, and wire the freestanding lamps into these. But you wouldn't be able to move them around (but this would be a problem with 5A plugs anyway!)

Saw it done in a hotel once. 2A round pin plug for a halogen standing uplighter. FCU for a desk lamp (easily nicked lol) and the hairdryer was in a drawer on a coiled lead. I pulled the drawer out, and it was just wired into a standard junction box under the counter. No flex retraint. :rolleyes: Very nice hotel in Ireland too. All the lights were controlled by a 4-gang switch at the door, and all the electrics in the room were controlled by a "card slot" where you keep your room key while in the room, but I just shoved my driving licence in there :LOL: (i needed to charge my phone while having breakfast)!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back