lighting circuit keeps tripping (Ed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove the bulbs and test each fitting with one you know is working out, they can have internal shorts
what is the point though if all switches are in the off position and no lighting present?

Me thinks though there is some kind of arcing going on in the fuse box making an earthing

Sponsored Links
One of these View attachment 334790 costs around £35 there are more expensive which are calibrated, but I got this one for £35, it uses 500 volt DC to test, so clearly you need to know what you are doing. If you can't be sure it is the RCD in spite of pictures, I am not sure it is safe for you to try to DIY the diagnosis?
should i try taking a photo of it; would that help?

Sponsored Links
what is the point though if all switches are in the off position and no lighting present?

Me thinks though there is some kind of arcing going on in the fuse box making an earthing
The switch could be faulty, or a loose wire tripping the fuse. A physical inspection and appropriate testing can reveal a lot that speculating on a forum. There are specific tests for rcd’s for example but the kit will cost you more than having a sparky round.

The switch could be faulty, or a loose wire tripping the fuse. A physical inspection and appropriate testing can reveal a lot that speculating on a forum. There are specific tests for rcd’s for example but the kit will cost you more than having a sparky round.
Its to dark in the coridor to take any photo; but the box and big switch to the left dose say "RCD" on it and big switch on the right says "CDG"

So how do i isolate the box before electric enters it? so i can take it apart and hopefully find the loose wire?

So you are not renting it out? Do you have any agreements with the utility suppliers or have you just moved in to a vacant property and are stealing electricity?

Its to dark in the coridor to take any photo; but the box and big switch to the left dose say "RCD" on it and big switch on the right says "CDG"

So how do i isolate the box before electric enters it? so i can take it apart and hopefully find the loose wire?
You cant, because part of it stays live, the part that comes from the main supply, and will kill you when you or you electricians screwdriver touches it. Get a sparky in, its not diy.

@AstonHill at least, please tell us exactly what device is tripping. This is key. The different devices in your consumer unit carry out different functions, if we know which is tripping that will give a bit of a steer towards what the fault might be.

Help us to help you.

Was the main fuse present when you 'moved in' or had it been removed?

Does your phone's camera not have a flash or fill light function?

@AstonHill at least, please tell us exactly what device is tripping. This is key. The different devices in your consumer unit carry out different functions, if we know which is tripping that will give a bit of a steer towards what the fault might be.

Help us to help you.
Above the switch that keeps tripping says

DZ47 B6
400v-IEC898
BSEN60898

and below the switch written in pen says downstairs lights

Hop that helps!

You cant, because part of it stays live, the part that comes from the main supply, and will kill you when you or you electricians screwdriver touches it. Get a sparky in, its not diy.
but there has to be somewhere between hear the fuse box and the sub station a switch for live dose there not?

Does your phone's camera not have a flash or fill light function?
It did not flash when i tried it so i am going to say no!
Also has no SD card reader so can not transfer the data over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back