Lighting circuit keeps tripping MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help, mcb keeps tripping on lighting circuit been working fine and nothings been touched or altered, changed mcb and it is still happening, theres only 3 lights on the circuit

Sponsored Links
how long do the lights work before the trip?

How long has this been happening?

When did you change the light fitting?

What floor are the lights failing on?

Is there a bathroom, tank or pipes in the floor above?

What signs of mice have you seen?

the mcb started staying on for 20 min and about 5 min there after. It as only just started and the circuit as been there some time. The light fittings have not been changed. Lights are failing on the ground floor. There is a kitchen in the floor above and not seen any mice

you probably have damage to a cable or fitting. If it is a fitting you may be able to find signs of overheating. Could be a wire come loose in ceiling or switch.

mice gnaw cables and damage them, hence my question.

cables are often damaged by nails or drills into walls, less often into floors or ceilings. Cables generally work perfectly unless they have been damaged.

Water leaks can get into ceiling fittings especially if under a bathroom.

If you disconnect any wires in a ceiling fitting ir is essential to draw a diagram and mark every individual wire - doing it by colour is not enough.

I presume you do not have any non-lighting loads connected to the lighting circuit, and no huge lamps including horticultural growing lamps, or heater lamps for tropical fish or reptiles.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your advice, i will look into it more and let you know the outcome, Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back