Lighting circuit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what i've got going on here before I pick up the meter and start investigating...
I installed a new light taking the supply from a nearby loop in ceiling rose, ie 'neutral terminal' which was connecting to light flex and to/from other lights, & 'live terminal' which was connecting to/from other lights and to switch.

i've run this feed to a jb and connected the wiring to light and switch as per normal. No prob here.

I have wired this new light to be switched from an unused second gang of the same switch that controls the light I have taken the feed from. Both are 1 way working using the appropriate common and l2.

Now the original light continues to work fine....providing it is switched on/off only with the new circuit switched off.
When the new light is switched on with the original turned off the new one doesn't work.
If the new light is switched on with the original turned on then both work at greatly reduced output..

Now the only part of this that I have not confirmed ( and this would be my next task with meter tomorrow) is wether the original wiring is correct within the loop in rose that I have taken my supply from. Although everything looked fine and just as expected, I need to confirm.

Is this an obvious one or not????

Sponsored Links
ok im totally stumped

maybe you could draw us a diagram of exactly what is connected to what

It sounds like, rather than taking the neutral from the neutral, you have mistaken it for the switched live from the switch, making the lights run in series.

If this is the case, move the wire to the neutral terminal, and label the switched live in red/brown sleeving.

Nice one Ryanj

I thought I was the only one on here this late. I agree the switched live has been mistaken for the the neutral.

I won't bother with my post then.

Hugh

Sponsored Links
Thats what I was thinking..but if thats the case then I cant explain the two other 'lives' in the same terminal block?!?!?

If you can draw a diagram, it would be very helpful.

It certainly sound like the lights are running in series with each other.

Thanks for your offer ryan, but if i dont sleep Im gonna struggle tomorrow.
And even doing a simple sketch will take me ages at this time of night!!
I should suss it with the multimeter tomorrow. If I dont or If I do I'll repost with the verdict.
Must sleep....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back