Lighting circuit without earth - mounting flush posible?!

FYI im on a high voltage course as we speak i normally deal with 11'000volts so im well aware of what is safe and what is not.
So why are you acting like a complete idiot?

Im a marine electrician and qualified to degree level. I do maintenance on my car too so its not like im a newbie to safety or electrics or doing any kind of DIY...
So you've been an idiot for a while, then?

Sponsored Links
Your right - im am an arrogant s** that once set on an idea just goes with it .
Then **** off and stop wasting everyone's time by asking for advice when you are a complete idiot who has no intention of taking it.

Or we could have a board about helping people do what they need to do safely when they can't afford to pay an electrician to do it. :eek:
Could you remind me which post here said he had to pay an electrician to carry out the work?

I can't find it at the moment...

Since this is a DIY forum, and you have specifically said you aren't going to rewire, the next best thing is to use plastic backboxes.
No - there is no next best thing - it all comes to a screeching halt at the "cannot be bothered to do it properly" point, and waits there until the idiot comes to his senses.

I have the same problem with old lighting wiring in my house. Some of if I've had to rewire, but some of it is damn awkward to replace having now been covered with built-in bookcases.
Well you shouldn't have put the bookcases there yet, should you.

Sponsored Links
Alrite Mik;

I've not seen those fascias? I've seen a few fascias with covers over the front so they appear screwless but i think these were metal fronted... Dont think i'll go for the plastic screws idea, i prefer the plastic back box at the moment.

You should also spend at least some time looking for places to buy a wooden box.

FYI im on a high voltage course as we speak i normally deal with 11'000volts so im well aware of what is safe and what is not.

You are not aware what is safe, because you are too thick to understand the fundamental differences between HV and LV protection philosophies.

Too true. Looking at the 11Kv pole route in the field I cannot see any earth conductor, just three phase lines. Earth systems at that voltage are a different matter to domestic earthing.

Can't remember ever seeing a housewife half asleep at 5 in the morning having anything to do with 11Kv circuits.

But I do know of one housewife in that state who dropped the electric kettle lead into the plastic washing up bowl that was full of water. She then picked the lead out of the bowl while resting her other hand on the stainless steel sink. The RCD had operated when the lead went into the water.

Alrite Mik;

I've not seen those fascias? I've seen a few fascias with covers over the front so they appear screwless but i think these were metal fronted... Dont think i'll go for the plastic screws idea, i prefer the plastic back box at the moment.
They are available from most decent electrical suppliers.

Glad you have ditched the plastic screws idea, that would be quality of the lowest order. Whoever suggested that idea should stand in the corner of the room in silence, facing the wall :p

I dont understand why you want to mess around with plastic boxes, but then again i dont really think the whole approach to this idea is anything like good, when you filter through the comments in this thread, the general consensus of opinion is 'this is rough and prone to failure, will give you more grief in the future' or
'you can't polish a turd'
but hay-ho, all people can do is try to give enlightenment. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back