lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to add extra outside security lights to my existing downstairs lighting circuit. They would be triggered individually but could conceiveably be on at the same time therefore totalling 1500 watts extra on the circuit. I have no spare capacity in the CU. My question is, would it be acceptable to simply uprate the present MCB on the lighting circuit, taking into account of course the extra wiring involved.

Sponsored Links
As this is external work it must be done by a Part P registered electrican and it is "illegal" to DIY work outside.
If DIY you have to get buildings control involved.
The cable is probably 1.0mm and will not take a bigger breaker OR the extra load.

There is a way but as you really should not be doing these I am not going to advise.

The regs are there for a purpose just upping the MCB to cope with the load is a no if the cable wont take it and you risk overloading and fire.

Also in any case to comply they would have to be RCD protected as well.
John.

How green is my lighting

1500watts!!, are you a lighthouse or something?

Have you considerd low energy floodlights - a quarter of the current so no need for a bigger circuit, maybe...

As this is external work it must be done by a Part P registered electrican and it is "illegal" to DIY work outside.
If DIY you have to get buildings control involved.

Well which one is it?

Either it is illegal or it isn't.

There is a way but as you really should not be doing these I am not going to advise.

What exactly is the point of your post then?

Also in any case to comply they would have to be RCD protected as well.

Where exactly does it say that in BS7671?

Sponsored Links
Hi securityinstaller, I acknowledge that there are part P issues with outside installations but I presumed it concerned new work only. In this particular case, there is an existing OS light close to the CU.,would it still constitute part P regulation by adding to the circuit, using correct cable, MCB etc.

It depends on exactly what you are doing. If you read the guidance issued by the government on part p it says you can add an outside light without notification as long as you don't have any exposed outdoor connections, the work doesn't involve the addition of a new circuit or involve extending a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back