Lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, been looking for ages but now decided to register and post.....

Two questions:

Can someone please explain intermediate switching,
and
A mates place currently has 2 lighting circuits (up and downstairs - including the kitchen). He's having a kitchen extension built and as a result will be adding 14 down lighters (voltage to be decided). These will be switched in 2 groups, 1 of 10, the other of 4. I have suggested that a new lighting circuit should be run in just for these lights - am I right - he thinks I'm being a girl! I thought you had to assume each fitting at 100w and then apply a usage percentage (66%?) for the amount of lights in total that would be on at the same time.

Any help appreciated - ta!

Sponsored Links
I've looked at the pictures for intermediate but what does it actually do?
(A description in word form would really help)

Including outside lighting there's currently 6 fittings on the downstairs circuit (the lounge has 3 lamps in 1 fitting).

I suggested moving the 14 down lights and the rear security light (only 'cos it's on the kitchen extension wall) on to the new circuit.

There's plenty of space in the CU and it's not that much of a 'mare to get at..........

Just after a sanity check. Would people leave as is or run a new feed in?

Sponsored Links
If there is plenty of space in the CU and running new wires is relatively hassle free, it'll probably be easier than tapping into the existing circuit...

Intermediate switching is often used in a long corridor, allowing there to be (for example) six switches on the corridor which all operate the same lights. This allows the lights to be switched on or off from any of the six switches.

RF Lighting:

Instead of intermediate switches, couldn't you use the 3 wire, 2 way switching example and just add more switches wired with 3 core?

If you do that you will end up with a situation where to turn the light off all the switches must be in the same position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back