Lighting control systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm researching some new lighting for my house. So far it looks like the JCL FlexiDim or the Hamilton Litestat Digital Mercury systems are most suitable. Does anyone have any experience with these?

It looks like I'll end up with lots of low power halogen bulbs for the effect I want. Having done some research it appears that the latest Philips or Osram units can reach around 20-25 lumens per watt. So I might complement these with fluorescent wherever I can. I understand that flourescents are dimmable when using the appropriate ballast and control (probably 1-10V). Has anyone got any experience on how well this dimming works compared to halogens?

Sponsored Links
we use the dimming florries all the time at work and to be honest they can be a pain.

Firstly they need at least a volt for control any lower and they tend to either flicker or go completely out and are then sometimes hard to get back on without cycling the power.

secondly the tubes have an extremely short lifespan unless they have been burnt in which to be properly done they have to run continuously not dimmed but at full for approx 3 days.

Thirdly the ballasts and tubes should be closely matched and by the same manufacturer as they have to have matching designed characteristics.

Thanks, I suspected that there would be issues. I think I'll see what JCL recommend themselves. Of course I might just be falling into the trap of wanting a feature just because it's there. My reason for thinking about flourescents is to use them for their efficiency, which really counts when on full power. So it makes sense to have CFLs fully on when I need maximum light, but when I need lower lighting scene-setting they are fully off and I rely on the halogens.

Before you choose the system check it is compatible with mobile phones being used in the house.

There is a house in Milton Keynes where a friend took a call on his mobile and the lighting went into psycodelic mode until he took his phone outside.

There are probable others......

Sponsored Links
secondly the tubes have an extremely short lifespan unless they have been burnt in which to be properly done they have to run continuously not dimmed but at full for approx 3 days.
in other words unless you can tollerate having your lighitng on full blast for days on end you are probablly going to have to build a burn in rig in a light tight cupboard or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back