Lighting fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Found a strange one today wondered if anyone else had ever experienced iy.

Changed a consumer unit uder a stair cupboard which had been virtually kicked off the wall. Typical 3 bed semi house. During dead testing R!+R2 of downstairs lighting i found something which shows the importance of testing at every light and switch for the maximum r1r2.

The house lighting was not wired in a loop circuit and only one cable was at each rose. In the kitchen a fluorescent had an extra single core neutral cable black with grey sheath connected to it. Ihad megged the installation and the downstairs lighting measured >299 between PN and PN E. The loop impedance and r1 r2 measured ok. Found the upstairs landing 2 way from downstairs hall to be maximum zs of 1.2. everything seemed fine. Still wasnt happy with what looked like a borrowed neutral so traced it after ripping boards up. They had wired the two way switch for the landing light fed via the hall 2gang switch as normal but instead of taking a neutral to a jb then light they only had the switch live going to it via the hall landing 2 way switch and pinched a neutral from the kitchen in a single core. Problem was i knew something was up so i split the neutrals in the kitchen. FOUND 230V on the single core neutral. Isolated it and megged it again but read ok to phase >299. Luckily the leakage was coming from a cable on that circuit because when i isolated the downstairs lighting the fault voltage went. Tried a phase neutral loop on the correct neutral at the kitchen light and got 0.45, seemed ok. Megged the single core rogue neutral to phase and got 100 ohms.. This is why the breaker wasnt tripping. High reistance phase leakage.Ripped the loft to bits couldnt find it. Baffled. Then i realised tie backs for the curtains Landing window were screwed and plugged, the t**t was through the single core and a seperate twin and earth. What a nightmare. Provessometimes testing isnt always failsafe. Ironic part is this circuit megged >299 the satisfactory upstairs lights measured 2.22M only, big drop from 299 which all the other circuits are. What a day......

Sponsored Links
Lifting that sinlge neural from the neutral terminal effecively turns it live if the landing light is on. You would read 240v on it. The 100ohm is the resistance of the lamp.

Am I being stupids and reading it incorrectly?? This is they way I see it. Is the landing light on the same circuit as the kitchen?? If it is, it isn't a borrowed neutral, if it isn't, it is not wired correctly.

they had not taken a neutral to the landing light so they ran a single core down the wall at the top of the stairs at the side of the landing window under the floorboards to the kitchen light. Tie back hooks had penetrated this and a twin and earth adjacent to it causing a leakage down the neutral. When it was wired it was probably ok but i find this bad practice. Even though the neutral is from the same circuit, current carrying conductors should be within their own cable i feel. The 230v leakage feeding to the kitchen light neutral was not of a sufficiently low resistance through the screw to come out on short circuit. Sounds like im =ve made this up. Totally genuine guys.

Some days you just feel good eh James. If I was a supestitious man, I would say someone was on your shoulder guiding you. :D

Sponsored Links
Lectrician,

Thanks for the reply, fixed the screw and still had the problem which you wrote. Obviously the two neutrals split read 230 on a martindale because in effect you are becoming a cable joint. This is the whole reason i called it a borrowed neutral. I know its off the same circuit, but, this is my theory...

A lot of people and i know its wrong, work on a light fitting of this type (no loop) by turning off the switch, thus, retaining the other lights whilst working. When the upstairs light is on 230 between each neutral, just as bad asif it was on another circuit. Maybe a borrowed is really stolen and this is borrowed.

I seemed to see it a lot clearer today after a long day, great insight by the way into the essay i wrote .

Many thanks.

By the way, jointed the cable with 1.5 through crimps and taped with amalg and pvc. I have not put the joint in an enclosure. Can the building fabric(plaster be classed as the enclosure, i hope so.

I dont do a great deal of domestic, im hnc in electrical maintenance, star delta, generators etc. houses never fail to surprise me, such a simple system yet so many bloody problems, thanks again

And I thought I had a bad day, my pen ran out of ink, sec was off so I had to make my own tea... next time james, shall we swap jobs? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back