lighting in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a suspended ceiling with translucent panels fitted in and a fluorescent light fixed to the true ceiling 6" above that. I have decided to bring it up to date by removing the suspended ceiling and replace it with plasterboard.
I have secured joist hangers on opposite walls and put 65 x 59 joists in. These will be strong enough because there is no weight from above. Obviously the fluorescent light will now be secured to this plasterboard.Because the ceilings are high, 8ft 6" you cannot touch it even standing in the bath.
My question is : Am I alright to do this ( is it permitted )?
I only have an old fuse board with rewirable fuses in, do I need to have this changed to incorperate an RCD or is there something else that I can do?

Thanks for any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Am I alright to do this ( is it permitted)
SNN1833B_471637a.jpg

Will the fitting be outside the zones?
SNN1833B_471637a.jpg

I had a suspended ceiling with translucent panels fitted in and a fluorescent light fixed to the true ceiling 6" above that. I have decided to bring it up to date by removing the suspended ceiling and replace it with plasterboard.
Why not just remove it and use the original ceiling?

I have secured joist hangers on opposite walls and put 65 x 59 joists in.
To fix P/B to?

These will be strong enough because there is no weight from above.
If they are only supported at the ends by sitting in joist hangers they will not be strong enough.

If they are also fixed through to the original joists they are oversized.

Sponsored Links
The fitting will be about 2ft from the edge of the bath so cannot be reached from the bath.
I can't remove the old ceiling as it curves down 6" to the top of the wall which I tiled up to originally ( it was built in 1936 with lathe and plaster ). This is the reason originally to have a suspended ceiling + it was fashionable at the time.
With regards to the joists the overall width is only 6ft from wall to wall so thought that the joists would be strong enough. I have put them across at 16" centres so there are 5 over the length of 6ft. The room being 6ft x 6ft with a smaller bit at the end of 4ft x4ft which has 3 joists in it.
I would use half of the last one of the others to secure the end of this 4 x4 board ie: 2 3ft x6ft boards + 1 4ft x4ft board if that makes any sense.

I have secured joist hangers on opposite walls and put 65 x 59 joists in. These will be strong enough because there is no weight from above. Obviously the fluorescent light will now be secured to this plasterboard.Because the ceilings are high, 8ft 6" you cannot touch it even standing in the bath.
My question is : Am I alright to do this ( is it permitted )?
I only have an old fuse board with rewirable fuses in, do I need to have this changed to incorperate an RCD or is there something else that I can do?

Thanks for any suggestions ?

You are basically replacing a light fitting.

In fact you are putting back the old fluorescent. Isn't there something more nicer looking you could fit that would be suitable?

With regards to the joists the overall width is only 6ft from wall to wall so thought that the joists would be strong enough. I have put them across at 16" centres so there are 5 over the length of 6ft. The room being 6ft x 6ft with a smaller bit at the end of 4ft x4ft which has 3 joists in it.
My gut feel is that it will sag.

And even a small movement will be enough to crack the plaster.

But I could easily be wrong - ask on the Building and/or Plastering & Rendering fora.

There are proprietary systems you can get for plasterboard ceilings, e.g. http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gypframe_metal_products.aspx

In fact you are putting back the old fluorescent. Isn't there something more nicer looking you could fit that would be suitable?
Almost anything would be nicer looking.

HIB do some nice ones, but just start Googling for bathroom lighting.

If you're keen on strip lights, there's the top right one here:

or these:

TLG_PLNR_F_CLIT.jpg

TLG_PRSM_F_01.jpg

And these are all from one maker.

If you want something smooth and unobtrusive, this sort of thing is ideal:

Or as you're replacing the ceiling, what about something like this:

Or....

You say the ceiling curves down where it meets the walls - is it a nicely radiused even curve all the way round?

Could you put a cornice up where the tiles finish and have concealed lighting behind it, reflecting off the ceiling?

Almost anything would be nicer looking.

HIB do some nice ones, but just start Googling for bathroom lighting.

If you're keen on strip lights, there's the top right one here:

I googled bathroom lighting but could not find the ones in your picture. Where can I find them? Also will I need to have the 30 ms RCD, if so all my consumer unit will require changing, something I was trying to avoid because of the expense.
If I have to change the consumer unit I may go for some downlighters instead

or these:

TLG_PLNR_F_CLIT.jpg

TLG_PRSM_F_01.jpg

And these are all from one maker.

If you want something smooth and unobtrusive, this sort of thing is ideal:

Or as you're replacing the ceiling, what about something like this:

Or....

You say the ceiling curves down where it meets the walls - is it a nicely radiused even curve all the way round?

Could you put a cornice up where the tiles finish and have concealed lighting behind it, reflecting off the ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back