lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to replace 2 lights in the lounge.

They have a 2 light switches, which turn them on and off. I now realise after reading up last night that 1 light (light 1) has the input 3 core cable and an output 3 core cable (both red, black, earth) and a 4 core switch cable (red, yellow (red sleeve), blue and earth).

The other light (light 2) has just the input 3 core cable and a 4 core switch cable (red, yellow (red sleeve), blue and earth).

Where do you connect the blue cores from the switch cable? I connected the blue core to the black core on light 2 first, switched on and all was fine.

I then did the same connection on light 1 and it trips out?

I am connecting the brown core from the 2 core light cable to the red sleeved yellow (live) core and the blue core to the black and blue cores of the other cables.

Hope this makes sense!

Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, I had already studied this page and many others before posting, unfortunately none show what to do with the blue wire from the 4 way switch cable which comes thru the ceiling at the rose along with the input and output 3 core cables. I was sure it was connected to the "black" wires on the terminal block when I disconnected, but it just trips out when re-connected like this. BTW - I have checked other lights in circuit and they are connected like this

Any advice, i have obviously checked the cables for damage etc. and also tried the blue cable in every possible combination of positions between the 2 roses, all trip out.

Thanks Ray

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back