Lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a problem with my downstairs lights.
I switched my kitchen light on it flickered and then went out. Now my toilet light and my storage room [both next to the breaker panel and the consumer unit] work fine. The indoor porch light, the hall light, the kitchen light,dining room and lounge lights do not.
I have checked all the ceiling roses and switches for loose and broken wires and can find no obvious ones.The breaker does not trip.
any ideas where to start ?

regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
If you are satisfied with the ceiling rose and switch connections then you may be looking at a junction box somewhere or failing that a damaged/faulty cable.

You say there were no obvious broken wires in the ceiling roses - did you try the "tug test". Give each wire a gentle tug away from its terminal (with the power off!) and you may well find one is loose. Start with the one where the bulb went. Stripping off insulation and tightening terminal screws can lead to a thinner spot on the copper wire, which then acts like a fuse when there's a power surge; the copper can break but not be obvious to a visual check.

Unfortunately the same could be happening in a junction box above the ceiling, where Ricicle suggested. That'll be harder to find ....

PJ

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the ideas,i hope it is a badly connecting wire as i don't fancy hunting down the juncton boxes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back