Lighting problem

Are there any other wires in the switch box? Like a bunch of blue wires in a terminal block?

Sponsored Links
Ok heres the pic, its not too clear as its taken from a PDA as I can't find my camera.

hpim0018ro5.jpg

hpim0019rb4.jpg

The only wires to do with the install in the light are the brown, earth and blue wires into the terminal block. The other wires are all internal to the fitting.

sparkyspike said:
Are there any other wires in the switch box? Like a bunch of blue wires in a terminal block?

Yes in the switch box there are 2 blue and 2 earth wires that are connected to a terminal block

Sponsored Links
Can you take a photo of the wires underneath the metal plate? So far you can only see the L N and E, the others are part of the light itself.

Those L N and E go straight into the ceiling once the plate is removed. So theres nothing under the plate. I assume the wires join straight to the switch but I can't understand where all the other wires have come from on the switch.

Does one of the brown wires in the switch link across between N1 and L1?

Here are the pics of the DP switch:

hpim0023mp9.jpg

hpim0024mp6.jpg

hpim0025pq3.jpg

From the bottom picture, L1 is top left, L2 is bottom left, N1 is top right and N2 is bottom right

What is on the front of the switch? What does the writing say on the back of it too?

Looks like you need a double pole switch after all. If you can't get one in the style you wan't, you could get a 2 gang switch. It certainly looks like this switch controls 2 accessories, or at least used to. The wires in L1 and L2 look like a switchline from something else in the bathroom. The other side (N1 and N2) looks like a fed switch, hence the bunch of neutrals. At this stage I wouldn't wire into a single gang switch as you asked, but you'll need to identify the other item you're switching.

Are you absolutely certain the fan can run with the light off?

On the front it just looks like a normal light switch with no writing on it. On the back it says 250v 20A and there is an arrow that points both ways between L2 and N2 that says LOAD.

Spark123 said:
What is on the front of the switch? What does the writing say on the back of it too?

Its a 20A volex DP switch without neon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back