Lighting project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, and sorry in advance for a stupid question.
Converting the lighting in my garage, from an ancient "high-efficiency" 25W bulb that couldn't light a doll's house to two rows of 5 x 2.5W high output LED clusters mounted into wooden lightboxes that I made up myself. They look quite good (if I say so myself) and I've wired them all up and ready to connect to the light circuit.
The garage doesn't have a ceiling, it's a traditional apex timber roof, and there's joists crossing between the two walls every 2m or so which rest on the brick walls at each end. They don't seem to bear any load but are presumably providing rigidity and stability for the roof timbers.
I know as a general rule you shouldn't screw or otherwise attach loads to joists, but will a few timber screws holding my light boxes onto the roof make the slightest bit of difference?

Thanks
Jock

Sponsored Links
I doubt the added weight would cause an issue.
But a wooden combustible box with lights that generate/dissipate heat may need to be accessed!

Thanks. Was more the intrusion of screws into the timber I was thinking of, rather than the weight of the light box (which is two fifths of bugger all)
The LEDs seem to run almost stone cold, but they're just pop-outs anyway and the transformer is attached to the holder.
I've replaced almost all the 50W halogens around the house (previous owners clearly liked spots) with low-power LED because I really dislike the amount of heat they put out into bone dry wooden lathe and plaster ceilings!
It's not been cheap (although I picked them up in bulk during a Screwfix lighting sale) but the reduction in wattage is absolutely staggering, worth doing just for the money saving as we do run them quite a lot.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
With regards to screws compromising structural safety, I doubt it will have any adverse effect that amounts to a danger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back