Lighting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My other half recently purchased some lights to go inside some glass fronted cabinets, these lights are attached to a uk three pin plug with a small built in transformer.

What I have considered doing is fitting a socket on top of the cabinets then plugging this transformer into it, obviously I am them going to be left with a socket on the lighting circuit. Realistically nobody is going to be climbing 9 foot up a cabinet to plug in a toaster, but you never know. It seems wrong to me.

Any suggestions? I would like to use these existing fittings for aesthetical reasons, so not really interested in someone sending me a link to some industrial grade light fittings on TLC (Read: BAS) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't see too much of a problem with it as long as the socket is fairly inaccessible. Maybe consider getting the socket engraved with "lighting only" or something.

Another option may be to replace the transformer with one that is designed for fixed wiring. What type of lights are these?

Just some brushed metal circular halogen fittings, the instructions are in viking, so I would imagine she got them from ikea. :LOL:

Ideally I would have just bought some that didnt require a transformer and wire into an FCU above the cabinets but I have these now.

I guess I could add an FCU and fuse the socket down from that? Might be worth having a look in my farnell/RF catalogue to see if they have a transformer at a reasonable price I guess.

I would like to use these existing fittings for aesthetical reasons, so not really interested in someone sending me a link to some industrial grade light fittings on TLC (Read: BAS) :LOL:
OK - here is one which is not on TLC:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97914...Industrial/Industrial-Lighting/High-Bay-Body#

Might be worth having a look in my farnell/RF catalogue to see if they have a transformer at a reasonable price I guess.
If you provide your own transformer it will make the job notifiable.

Sponsored Links
Not a bad effort :LOL:

To big for this purpose however, might get 14 for the downstairs bog or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back