lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? i am a relative novice at electrics. I have recently moved into a new build and i have began putting some lights up. In our lounge one light fitting is working fine and has a blue neutral, brown live and green and yellow earth and this was matched by the light fitting. However on the other 2 there are 2 sets of cables coming from the ceiling, therefore 2 brown, 2 blue and 2 yellow and green. I have wired them using the original connector but the lights do not work. I put the 3 blues and 3 brown cables together in their individual holes in the connector block (this had 8 connector holes) and wired the earths in a seperate connector block. Can anyone help

Sponsored Links
Did you make some sort of note of how it was before you messed with it (says the bloke who never has but knows how to use a multimeter thankfully!)

Can anyone help? i am a relative novice at electrics. I have recently moved into a new build and i have began putting some lights up. In our lounge one light fitting is working fine and has a blue neutral, brown live and green and yellow earth and this was matched by the light fitting.
What wires are there at the switch(es)?

However on the other 2 there are 2 sets of cables coming from the ceiling, therefore 2 brown, 2 blue and 2 yellow and green. I have wired them using the original connector but the lights do not work. I put the 3 blues and 3 brown cables together in their individual holes in the connector block (this had 8 connector holes) and wired the earths in a seperate connector block. Can anyone help
Umm - not quite sure how we got from "2 brown, 2 blue and 2 yellow and green" to "3 blues and 3 brown"..

By "not work", do you just mean they don't come on? There are no fuses blowing or MCBs tripping?

Have you looked at the wiring diagrams here to see how lighting circuits work?

Sponsored Links
There were 2 cables coming from the ceiling, therefore 2 blue, 2 green and yellow and 2 brown. I then attached the cables from the new light which had 1 brown, 1 yellow and green and 1 blue. I attached them and they do not work, no fuses have blown but the lights simply do not work. The previous light fitting had 1 brown and 1 blue cable. Any help would be very much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back