Lights and lamps flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ceiling lights and electric socket lamps have begun to flicker intermitantly in our house.
We've never had this before and i can think of any reason why they should start to do this.
As this is both through the house lights and lamps that are plugged into the electric sockets, i'm thinking that the there is a fault with the main electricity supply. Would i be right in thinking this?
Should i contact the electricity supplier?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
first see if any of your neighbours has any arc welding equipment - these can generate massive currents and cause many neighbouring properties to experience power fluctuations. One of our neighbours has one, thankfully he doesn't use it very often. Not much you can do if this is the case.

otherwise, get an electrician to check the consumer unit, if he has no joy, contact your regional electricity distributor.

Thanks crafty1289

The lights have been flickering for the past few days and at night time. even late, but i will enquire about it. I would never have thought of that.

What is the consumer unit?

Thanks again

Andy :)

Seen lots off instances of dodgy L or CNE joints on overhead service drop scause this problem - get a spark, followed by lecky board to sort if the drops are consistant and noticable.

Sponsored Links
consumer unit refers to your fuse box, though if its modern, it'll contain mcbs instead of fuses :)

Thanks Lectrician

Would the electricity board charge me if it utrned out to be their supply to the house thats at fault?
Andy

If it is their side of the network that is at fault, they will pay to repair it, -unless you damaged it. They may charge you for a waste of time call out though, so get all the wiring on your side of the meter checked first.

Thanks saxton

I have to go to bed now (sleepless night) I'm going to get it checked out first thing in the morning..
Thanks for the warning.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back