'lights' circuit not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When turning on the kitchen light this evening all of my other lights went out. All other circuits are fine. Just every roof light not working. Thus has happened twice in 3 years and every time I just replace the fuse wire and problem solved. However when doing that this time the fuse is still in tact. Also when I put the fuse back in I usually get a small spark but this time it's completely dead.

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be that I could fix?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi, have you done any building work or changed a light fitting recently ?

Regards,

DS

Nope. No change at all. The house has been vacant for around a week in the cold weather is that could effect anything?

Hi, no i would have expected if it was water ingress or dampness in the wiring it would have blown the fuse. If you are confident with electrical work, i would remove the cover from the CU and check the connection to the fuse holder supplying the lighting circuit is tight and the cable is not loose.

SWITCH OFF AT MAIN SWITCH first !

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
OK. I plan on checking the outlets closest to the CU at both the light switches and light units to check for loose or burnt out connections. I will also try your suggestion aswell.

I'll report back once I have did this at the weekend.

Thank you!

Kevin.

Hi, are you sure that the fuse is working do you have another 5A circuit you can swap the fuse with to check ? 5A wire sometimes snaps when you tighten the screw on the holder.

Regards,

DS

I'm not 100% on that but know that the fuse wire is intact and making contact with both screws at each end.

When turning on the kitchen light this evening all of my other lights went out.
How much lighting on that circuit?

Thus has happened twice in 3 years
Just when you turn lights on? Not when a bulb blows? That's not right.

Also when I put the fuse back in I usually get a small spark but this time it's completely dead.
:eek:

Never, ever, EVER do that again.

Insert a fuse when the circuit is live, that is.

Possibly someone here can post a photo showing what can happen when you insert a fuse against a fault, so you can see the fun you might have.

Also when I put the fuse back in I usually get a small spark but this time it's completely dead.

Possibly someone here can post a photo showing what can happen when you insert a fuse against a fault, so you can see the fun you might have.

Will this do?

arcsequence.jpg

When turning on the kitchen light this evening all of my other lights went out.
How much lighting on that circuit?

2 lights downstairs and 4 lights upstairs.

Thus has happened twice in 3 years
Just when you turn lights on? Not when a bulb blows? That's not right.

Only when turning switch on. On one occasion the light bulb smashed when turning on the upstairs Hall light but has been OK ever since. On this occasion the kitchen light caused the trip.

Point taken. I will turn off the main switch from now in prior to removing and reinserting the fuse.

So any thoughts on route cause?

Sorry, I responded in the above reply. May have not quoted properly as sending from mobile device.

2 downstairs and 4 upstairs.

Hall light down stairs, kitchen lights (they halogen or other? How many bulbs in kitchen again?) two/3 bedrooms upstairs with one light each and bathroom.

Hall light down stairs, kitchen lights (they halogen or other? How many bulbs in kitchen again?) two/3 bedrooms upstairs with one light each and bathroom.

Hall light both upstairs and downstairs are normal filament bulbs. Kitchen is a 3 bulb halogen, bathroom is 2 halogen celing bulbs. Both upstairs bedroom are normal filament bulbs.

So with all the above info, does anyone have any ideas on what the cause might be or what I could try?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back