Lights dimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our power company has just replaced the electric meter. Now when we switch on something like the kettle or electric grill, we get the lights dimming slightly.

Any ideas how they managed to introduce this fault (the house had been rewired 2 years ago and problem free up to the meter change) - poor connections to the meter at the consumer unit?

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
you did not notice this fault b4??

This is very common.

A heavy load can dim the lights or make them flicker, esp. things like showers etc, but can be noticible with smaller loads.

securespark said:
you did not notice this fault b4??

Thanks for the reply securespark, but we never experienced any flickering before the replacement of the meter. That why I was wondering if it could be a result of a poor meter-to-consumer unit connection, or even the meter itself, etc.

Other than a change to the external supply we don't know about, it's a bit of a coincidence that we are only getting it now, just after someone has been tinkering with the CU for the first time in 2 years...

We're getting it with anything that draws a reasonable load - kettle, toaster, gas central heating boiler, fridge , freezer, etc. And it's not just on the kitchen circuit.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
A heavy load can dim the lights or make them flicker, esp. things like showers etc, but can be noticible with smaller loads.

Secure, this is possible, although very unlikely in a domestic situation, However I would have to say that changing the meter is equally unlikely to introduce such a fault.

Normally such micro brown outs are caused by the transformer (local) running at full capacity and the load drawn across it causes this dip in local voltage.

Before going the expense of getting someone in to check your installation, I would suggest you speak to the Engineers for your Supplier and see if they have changed the transformer or have possibly had similar reports from others, it could be they need to upgrade the unit.

Just to put it on record that I come across this a lot......

FWL

Bramhall, Stockport.

But I work SK8,9 10 11 & 12 as well as most M codes, mainly M19, 20, 21, 22 and 23.

IE, most of South Manchester.

FWL_Engineer said:
securespark said:
A heavy load can dim the lights or make them flicker, esp. things like showers etc, but can be noticible with smaller loads

Secure, this is possible, although very unlikely in a domestic situation...

I have to disagree FWL. Loads such as electric showers, and to a lesser extent, kettles and cookers, cause lights to dim.

FWL_Engineer said:
However I would have to say that changing the meter is equally unlikely to introduce such a fault.
You're probably right here though.

Nano, are you sure you just havent started to take notice of the dimming, but it was there all along. And to what extent does it dim?
We have had this question on the forum before, and all concluded that a little dimming is definitely nothing to worry about.

sterose said:
FWL_Engineer said:

I have to disagree FWL. Loads such as electric showers, and to a lesser extent, kettles and cookers, cause lights to dim.

Well all I can say is if this is normal up north then your supplies must be working at their limits, I have never experienced anything like in a permanent installation except when the load on the supply was at the design limits or when there where problems with the local supply network.

I have spoken to 24/7 on this and they concur, as do Southern and South Western.

According to a National Grid Engineering Director I spoke to,
(I was speaking to him about something else but broached this subject to get his thoughts)

no domestic customer should see a noticable reduction in supply voltage except under the conditions we are all aware of when equipment changeovers occur and maintenance works are being carried out. However this is not a matter for National Grid, rather the local supplier who has legal responsibility for the local 11kV and occasionally 33kV networks. It should not be something that should overly concern customers unless this is a regular problem and could indicate problems with their individual supply cable or the local 11kV transformer that they are fed from.

So from this you can see it should not be the Norm, and should not be caused by anything in the installation if it has all been designed and installed to the Regulations when it was last rewired.

FWL_Engineer said:
sterose said:
FWL_Engineer said:

Well all I can say is if this is normal up north then your supplies must be working at their limits, I have never experienced anything like in a permanent installation except when the load on the supply was at the design limits or when there where problems with the local supply network.

Youre the boss, FWL. But here "up north", I have never used a shower that doesnt dim lights. Admittedly the supply circuits probably werent designed to feed so many amps. But nevertheless, dimming is "normal".

sterose said:
We have had this question on the forum before, and all concluded that a little dimming is definitely nothing to worry about.
What about a lot?
It's long gone to the great workshop in the sky now, but years ago at home my dad had a table saw powered by a motor (capacitor start? I think) which was ok when running, but on startup caused all the lights to dim noticeably and the TV picture to shrink noticeably. From memory it used to take around 5-10 seconds for everything to gradually return to full brightness and size. Should we all have been very afraid? Rewireable fuses, of course....

It happens to me when I stick my kitchen lights on, the rest of the house blips.....must get some-one in to rewire it.....

Securespark do you cover CH areas?

But you must be able to provide NIC certification :evil:

Perhaps the closeness to London and the several large Powerplants that feed the South around London provide enough power that this is never an issue here.

I have never experienced this in compliant installations, never at home and nor have any of the Guys working for me for who I have spoken too.

Perhaps it's another example of the North South divide..we get all the better supplies, you get stuck with the crappy ones :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back