Lights flicker when switched on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks

Have an issue where different lights are flickering even when other switches are operated in our house. Bedroom light flickers when living room switch is operated etc

Any ideas thanks[/list]

Sponsored Links
Probably loose connections at the light switches.

With the power completely off, loosen some switches off carefully. Watch out for wires dropping out, as if they do, you'll want to know where the came from.

If you can, send photos, as it may well be something else causing the faults, though can't think what at this stage.

Could be either a loose connection or contact at either switch, light fitting or any joints/junction made in the circuit. Also could be related to terminations at the consumer unit/fuse board, either conductors or possible MCB /fuse not fitted correctly.

Sponsored Links
Could be.

I take it you didn't have the problem before this?

Out of interest, is this a flat or bungalow by any chance?

Is the property relatively new?

Are the lamps LED, with LED compatible dimmers?

I had this issue, turning the ones on in 1 room caused the lights in the next room to dip once. Spoke to the dimmer manufacturer, who replaced them both as it was a software 'bug'. Software in dimmers, I was surprised!

Wow think i sussed it!

Could hear buzzing in the attic. Scared the poop out of me. Turned off the lighting supply and grabbed a torch. Found a junction box where two neutral wires were barely connected. One was an old neutral that has strands of wire. Only one strand connected!

Managed to re connect the neutrals and all seems good!

would this be the cause of the flickering?

Wow think i sussed it!

Could hear buzzing in the attic. Scared the poop out of me. Turned off the lighting supply and grabbed a torch. Found a junction box where two neutral wires were barely connected. One was an old neutral that has strands of wire. Only one strand connected!

Managed to re connect the neutrals and all seems good!

would this be the cause of the flickering?

Certainly would be,

but would make good sense to get the rest of the wiring checked out, if the rest of it is anything like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back