Lights going on & off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I have just fitted a new mains voltage halogen spotlight (3 spotlights) in our smallest bedroom. using the fourway terminal block supplied I have connected three red (live) wires to the left hand connector, next to this what I believe to be the switch return, next to this the earth wires and next to this what I believe to be the two mains loop wires. I switched the new lights on and they work fine. Unfortunately, switching that light on now switches the bathroom light off. Now when the bathroom light is on and the spotlights are off the lights in the other bedrooms lights are dimmed. The lights all work okay independently provided none of the other upstairs lights are on. I have also noticed that if a light is on in one of the other bedrooms the new spotlights have a faint glow. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
yes you have wired it wrong see
lamps.gif

with out knowing what colours you have where it is hard to say Excactly what you have done, but i should guess one of the reds is wrong

Thanks, the light is set up as shown on the link below. The problem is I did not have a red/black so am not sure if correct one is fitted. All the others seem okay so if I have connected the wrong neutral wire could this cause the problem?

here

(look at light fitting advice, loop in system, page 1

Sponsored Links
jimttc said:
Thanks, the light is set up as shown on the link below.
Trouble is, the diagram on that site:
loopin.gif

is about as much use as a kleenex condom. It shows you that you have cables running from one rose to another, and to switches, but doesn't give you any information about where each conductor is connected. So yes, you have it set up as shown on that site, in that you have the cables as illustrated, but you have not got the correct arrangement down at the level of the individual wires.

The problem is I did not have a red/black so am not sure if correct one is fitted. All the others seem okay so if I have connected the wrong neutral wire could this cause the problem?
Take a look at the detailed diagrams in the reference section, and compare it to what you have. To sort it out now will probably require you to have a voltage indicating device (multimeter to be much preferred) so that you can identify which is the live feed. Somewhere you have got things mixed up and now have part of your lighting circuit in series, which is why they go on and off the way they do, and some are dim etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back