lights in chimney breast above gas hobs/oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have an extractor fan, neither am i having one.... it's a pain in the arse to sort out ducting etc and i'll just have the window open instead.

Saying that, i want some form of lighting above the cooking area, in the chimney breast.

I am thinking that standard spotlights would be too bright?

What can you suggest?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Saying that, i want some form of lighting above the cooking area, in the chimney breast. ... I am thinking that standard spotlights would be too bright?
I really depends upon how bright you want and/or would find acceptable.

You can certainly easily get 3.5W LED downlights (equivalent to around 35W of incandescent), maybe smaller.

Kind Regards, John

cheers
I've just had a brainwave and a simple idea, would battery operated LED lights do the job, or be a bit tacky?

Sponsored Links
cheers ... I've just had a brainwave and a simple idea, would battery operated LED lights do the job, or be a bit tacky?
Again, the buck really lies with you. There are certainly plenty of quite bright ones around, but whether they would 'do the job' to your satisfaction and/or whether you would regard them as 'tacky' are really questions which only you can answer.

You could probably get one or two to try for under £5, so it might be worth experimenting.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for replies.

I've a double socket just below the chimney breast.

Cna I get a feed off this to supply 2 x led spotlights

If so, how would I cable the lights and switch from the socket?

batteries will run out in the middle of whatever you NEED the light on for. I would just plug them into that socket.
you may want to look at some of the under cupboard lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back