lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have lost lights in living room, kitchen and bathroom all other lights and sockets have power, other lights in living room work

i have changed all fuses just in case but makes no difference any ideas?

Sponsored Links
probably a loose connection in a ceiling rose.

lighting circuits are arranged in a string, usually running from one rose to the next to the next. The fault is most likely either in the last rose that works, or the first one that doesn't, in that string.

There is also a possibility that you have a fault in a cable where it has been nailed or gnawed, or in a junction Box (if you have such a thing) hidden under the floor,. this will be more tiresome to find, which is one reason why you are not supposed to use them.

Do not disconnect any wires from a ceiling rose until you have labelled each one, and sketched or photographed it so you can reconnect them in the same way. Lighting roses contain several wires of the same colour that do different things, so you must not mix them up. Isolate the power before starting work. Lighting roses are live even when the light switch is off, and sometimes even if the circuit is not working.

Go and invest £10 in a multimeter. a neon screwdriver will not do. Also a permanent marker and some white vinyl tape for labelling the wires.

Sponsored Links
this happened after i changed the dimmer switch, the dimmer switch is working fine,

the dimmer controls lights that in the wall not on the ceiling, i have not been tinkering with any ceiling lights

Did you put all the wires back in, making sure the two which were together went back together in the same hole?
When your living room lights are turned on, do any of the other lights then work - don't try any flourescents!

I mean does say the bathroom light work when the dimmer switch for the wall lights is turned fully on? (Don't try that if the bathroom light is a flourescent)

forgive me hijacking the thread, but why shouldn't the op try any flourescent lights? I was just wondering why that's all.

Stuart

Dimmers and fluorescents don't mix very well, I once sent a triac switch pack up in smoke with a fluorescent fitting when it was switched off.
That and a normal fluorescent produces high voltage to strike, a semiconductor will probably not be over tolerant of this. I wouldn't like to be the one to spend the cash to find out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back