lights on a kitchen circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it acceptable to have kitchen lights as part of the ring to a kitchen power circuit with rcd protection and a 30 amp mcb?

Sponsored Links
NO.

Your betst option would be to provide an FCU on the ring with a 5amp fuse, and wire your lights from that.

What's wrong with the kitchen/other lighting circuit?

PS This is notifiable work in England & Wales

is it acceptable to have kitchen lights as part of the ring to a kitchen power circuit with rcd protection and a 30 amp mcb?
Hi does an electric towel warmer which is painted white need to have supplementary bonding or does the earth off the element suffice?
Hi can a socket be fitted in a cupboard of a down stairs shower room to power a tumble dryer if there is a door that can be closed when the tumble dryer is in use? there would be no access to the socket unless you pulled the tumble dryer out.
Hi guys, im looking at installing a new towel warmer 400watts to a wc area consists of a wc and a basin. I want to spur off the kitchen socket the other side of the wall with a fused spur and some kind of timer device. Would this be acceptable or would it need an independant circuit also if the circuit isn't rcd protected could I fit one to the spur or would the whole circuit need to be rcd protected?
Hi Guys,

Im thinking of buying a fluke 1652 mft but not sure if it will do everything I need it to for testing ie does it have a non trip loop impedance function, will it do insulation resistance at 500v and will it do rcd trip times etc? and whats the difference between the 1652, 1652B and 1652C??

thanks
The last post, when looked at along with the previous ones, brings to mind the old adage about walking preceding running.

The previous ones look as if you're trying to do some fairly significant design and installation work on the basis of asking random questions here as and when you encounter something you realise you don't know.

And this body of work:

//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...0&author=tommyl18&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

makes it look as if you may well be doing this in other people's houses, people who have hired you with the expectation of getting someone who knows what they are doing, and entitled to be charging for their services.

Yes? No?

For someone who, over 2 years ago, claimed to be interested enough in electrical work as to want to undertake training and gain a qualification, presumably so as to be able to offer a wider range of services to his customers, you really haven't learnt much, have you.

For your information Ive just done my 17th edition and part p and so im still finding my feet I sont undertake anything im not comfortable with and work alongside other electricians when I need to nothing wrong with trying to further my knowledge by asking questions on various scenarios is there???

Sponsored Links
and regarding the above post its something I came across whilst plastering somebodies kitchen today

For your information Ive just done my 17th edition and part p and so im still finding my feet I sont undertake anything im not comfortable with and work alongside other electricians when I need to nothing wrong with trying to further my knowledge by asking questions on various scenarios is there???

So if you have done your 17th eds, why do you not know the answer or answers to the question asked?
It's not a common set you, but it is not unacceptable but provisions must be made for load, fuse ratings and cable sizing for starters.
Have you ever done any deign calculations?

yea I was skimming round the sockets so turned the mcb off that was labelled kitchen sockets and the sockets were dead but so were the kitchen lights!

The breaker was a 30amp with a 30ma rcbo, she wanted to know how the best way to put the kitchen lights on the down stairs lighting circuit and other than ripping the floor boards up or my freshly skimmed ceiling i think shes stuffed

I didnt say I didnt know the answer did I? I just wanted clarification to what I already thought

Ok well considering I havent really inspected the circuit, Im presuming a worst case scenario of a radial circuit with the section of cable for the lights being 1.5mm csa and then probably installation reference method 100 to 103 will give a cable rating of 16 amps with a mcb of 30amps is not good if there is a fault current

103 actually gives a cable rating of 10a

A worse case scenario would be 1.0mm csa....

Which would be 8a if assuming 103

so worst case scenario
Would be RM103 at 8amps.
You have a 30A device, you need to consider the loading of the 1.0mm cable.
Has it been down fused?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back