lights on a timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads.My father in law has put new lights up on the pillars at the end of his driveway.The lights are on a 3 gang switch on the downstairs lighting circuit.They are switched independently.Is there a timer that he can get so he can put just the outside lights on.cheers

Sponsored Links
A photocell would be a better option but either way you need to access the feed, switch wire and neutral of that particular lighting circuit.

If he fits CFLs (energy saving bulbs) the electricity cost will be so slight that it is not worth buying a timer or photocell.

However you can often get a simple Central Heating timer quite cheap. they are generally rated at 3Amps load which is plenty for a few lamps. I like the electromechanical sort with a rotating clock face as they are so easy and intuitive to operate and adjust. Digital timers you need to read and understand the instructions every time.

My local DIY shed was selling CH timers at £10 last week to clear the winter stock.

You can also get Light Switches with an adjustable photocell and adjustable on-time. Probably cost about £20

Sponsored Links
Fit one of these: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMZV700.html

A 24hr/7 day digital light switch which will automatically turn filament, fluorescent, low energy and low voltage lights ON & OFF at pre-programmed times. A total of 6 ON and 6 OFF independent switching commands can be set to operate over all weekdays, both weekend days, all 7 days (24hr operation) or on individual days. An optional dusk start feature turns lights ON at dusk and OFF at a programmed time.

Does not require a neutral.

Be careful buying multi-packs of timers at a cheap price. One of my customers bought a three pack from a major shed and none lasted more than two months, nor did the replacements. The shed in question is no more.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back