Lights out RCB ?

There's no such thing as the natural hostility of inanimate objects :)

I'm dying to know the cause of the problem..

Sponsored Links
kenthetuner said:
Here are some photos to be going along with for now.
I've stuck your pics in this post - you'll get more chance of people looking this way! ;)

View media item 18331
View media item 18332

I can't really work out what's happening in the first two pics. Is the other light on the two gang switch working ok?

On the ceiling rose am I correct in guessing you have disconnected the live to the next light, neutral to the next light and live switch feed?

Sponsored Links
Please slow down I can keep up with your questions!!
bongos the first 2 photos is the switch 2 gang and yes the switch furthest is working ok. ceiling rose yes.
Martin with it removed 4 bulbs (hall toilet 2 cupboards)

Looking at the rear of the switch, does the disconnected red core go into the "L2" of the left hand switch? This switch looks like it is part of a two way setup. Is it?

Is the red core disconnected at the switch the other end of the red switch feed at the ceiling rose?

Hi, the switches have 1 way and 2 way marked on them, I can't see L1 any where. Its not part of a two way system. This is a switch I bought a couple of years ago to replace a twin dimmer.Is the red core disconnected at the switch the other end of the red switch feed at the ceiling rose? no I don't think so its the live and feed the next light.

Use the "Quote" button it makes it a bit easier to read your replies. ;)

1) Confirm that the red core still connected at the ceiling rose is the live switch feed.

2) Confirm that when looking at the rear of the switch, are we talking about the left or the right hand side? Where does the disconnected red at the switch come from? Can you add a pic of the rear of the switch?

Bongos, I have to go and collect my son now but will answer these questions for you tomorrow after work. Thanks for your help and concern so far. Keep warm mate, regards Ken

Please slow down I can keep up with your questions!!
bongos the first 2 photos is the switch 2 gang and yes the switch furthest is working ok. ceiling rose yes.
Martin with it removed 4 bulbs (hall toilet 2 cupboards)

When you say 2 cupboards. Can you elaborate, what are these for?

Sorry for the delay in coming back. Thank you to every one who has suggested a solutions. Found the fault. My house is built with a steel H beam in the ceiling and the lazy electrician who should have drill through it to pass a light cable laid the cable over it. The cable over the years has been trapped between floor boards and and the steel beam ( a short waiting to happen). There is a stud wall built over it so presumable the extra weight crushed the cable.

Glad its sorted. Not sure how you'd get through the steel beam but like you say the cable shouldn't have been left under the floor board like it was.

... steel H beam in the ceiling and the lazy electrician who should have drill through it to pass a light cable laid the cable over it....
Still, you can't drill through a steel beam without having load calculations done again, so I'd advise finding another route.

So you can't drill the steel H section in case you weaken it but you can drill a 25mm hole in every wooden floor joist supported by it without any worries !! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back