Lights wired to socket

Sponsored Links
Today's rules, maximum overload for lights is 16 amp, and in the main due to the ceiling rose being used as a junction box, and that is rated at 6 amp, in real terms you have a 6 amp limit.

There is also a rule "Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to: (i) avoid hazards and minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault (iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit" What we don't want is for a fault on sockets to cause loss of all lighting but one of these 1697685184401.png would remove that problem, I have one top of my stairs which auto lights with a power cut, so I can find my way down the stairs safely with a power cut.

One is not permitted a spur from a spur unless fused off a ring final, but one can have a radial so that socket would need to be supplied from one of the 16 amp MCB's. And if that's the case there is really no problem, other than loss of light if a MCB trips.

I have seen many homes where the lights and the sockets are from the same RCD, so should some thing happen to trip the RCD one is also plunged into darkness, but the simple plug in torch shown means that's not really dangerous. And a power cut will clearly plunge one into darkness anyway.

Some of your comments seem odd, how did you know removing the neutral causes lights to go out? One would hope before working on any electrics one would switch off the supply? One could turn off main isolator before working, but one would normally turn off the MCB, so how is it you don't know which MCB feeds it?

The socket may itself be a spur. Are the two cables the same size as each other ?
Does turning off that 32 amp breaker cause the lights not to work ?

Sponsored Links
The socket may itself be a spur. Are the two cables the same size as each other ?
Does turning off that 32 amp breaker cause the lights not to work ?
There's no slack on the wiring for me to check the pvc sheath, but it looks like one cable is smaller. There's no slack on the cables in the light switch either. I think it's 1.5mm T&E in the light , and 1 x 1.5mm an 1 x 2.5mm in the socket. See photos.
20231019_113541.jpg
20231019_114341.jpg

Turning of that 32A breaker switches off the socket and light (white room photo). The light in adjacent bedroom also goes out but there's no socket nearby (purple room photo).
20231019_114005.jpg
20231019_114015.jpg

From what you have told us ,it seems like the socket is spurred from a ring final circuit,and the light fittings are too. Not compliant and needs sorting. Engage an electrician.

From what you have told us ,it seems like the socket is spurred from a ring final circuit,and the light fittings are too. Not compliant and needs sorting. Engage an electrician.
OK thanks for your help. Bit worrying though.

The board looks like it feeds four socket circuits on the right via b16 MCB's not on the RCD protected side which looks a bit odd. is this a normal house?

In 1930s extended bungalow. Just found out that the lights in the two attic bedrooms are wired to a 2-gang socket in one of the rooms. Is this usual, safe and legal?
There's a chance that it may upset Winston/GeorgeCook even if wired correctly.

when you get a spark round maybe ask him to quote you for a new RCBO consumer unit with SPD too

I'm going to make a guess that the purple side has 3 cables

1697820256318.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back