Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i have a couple issues with my light fixtures:

1) the fixture wont work at all and i suspect it might be because of an old leak in the bedroom ceiling that's put it out of action (there's a water mark around the fixture)

2) the two-way switch at the top of the stairs isn't connected properly in that it's not fully interchangable. For example, if you turn the light on upstairs, you can go downstairs and it'll switch off and then on from that switch. But if you switch the light off upstairs, you can't switch it on from downstairs! Madness!

Are these issues that an electrician would be able to fix without too much bother? I'm a novice when it comes to these and so would like an idea of what i'd be getting myself in to!

Any input would be appreciated..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
With regards to the lighting circuit that doesn't work, it is unlikely that a leak should permanently put it out of action. The first step would be to isolate the circuit at the consumer unit. Hopefully the lighting circuit is identified. It should have a 6amp MCB (Circuit breaker) or 5 amp fuse (Old style boards) Then open up the light fitting and switch and check that all the connection are tight. Check for signs of corrosion. If the fitting has had a leak, you may find the wires corroded. If this is the case, try to cut off the corroded part and strip the insulation back to bare some fresh wire. If you have no slack in the cable, then you may have to get a new cable put in. Another possibility is that as the supply for light fittings normally daisy chain from one fitting to the next that the fitting down the line from this one has a wire disconnected which would mean that this one has no supply.

With regards to the 2 way switches, the first thing to try to do, is to identify how it has been wired. While you have the lighting circuit isolated, open up the switches and the fitting and try to work out what wires are connected to what. A good guide for how it should be wired can be found at http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/two_way_lighting.htm this explains how it should be done with the old and new colour schemes and lots of lovely pictures.

It should be possible for you even as a novice to have a look at it. Just make sure that you isolate the circuit before opening anything. Double check by switching some lights on before you isolate and make sure that they are off after. If in doubt, no shame in turning all the electrics off to be safe. Make sure that you make careful note (Pictures would be useful) before disconnecting anything so that you can put it back the way it was if you need to. Mark the wires to be certain if you have multiple ones of the same colour in the same fitting going to different places.

from what you say it is very likely that one or more of the ceiling roses is wired incorrectly. This often happens after someone has taken one off and not identified all the wires. there might be some damage as well.

Yes, you could trace it yourself given some time, a multimeter, and standing on stepladders. Or you could pay an electrician to do the same thing.

You can buy a multimeter for about £10. I can point you at instructions for doing it yourself if you like. It will probably take you a couple of hours with tea breaks, and you need to do it during daylight as the lights will be off most of the time you are working.

John's instructions for this job actually include the points at which you must make cups of tea. ;)

Sponsored Links
And the point at which you must send me £5

Do you have a wife, or will you need to borrow one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back