LightwaveRF TRVs

I have been adding bits to my house automation for around 6 months, and it works really really well.

My first decision was whether to use LightwaveRF (I like the switches) or choose another more universal standard. I settled on z-wave plus the RFX module because z-wave is by far the most common. And the RFX module lets me add Lightwave RF, plus loads of other non-z-wave kit and control it all from one place.

My setup:
Vera Lite controller plus RFX module
4 Lightwave RF switches
Aeon labs 4 in one multisensor (temp, humidity, proximity, light sensor)
4 TKB power switches that also monitor elec usage to control Xmas lights, PC etc
Fibaro power relay to turn on Immersion Heater on a schedule
2 Fibaro smoke detectors
Z Wave secure heating controller

As you can see all from different manufacturers, but works perfectly together. I can set schedules, alerts, scenes that do multiple things in order etc.

The controller lets you do clever stuff like check the weather forecast and turn on the immersion heater if it is going to be cold, or turn down the heating if it senses no-one is in the house (like no movement and no-one has touched the lights)

I also have a scene set so that if the fire alarm goes off all the lights go on in the house and then after 30 seconds flash on and off as an extra alert. Then the system emails and texts me an alert and sends me the exact temperature on each floor.

I'm not a techy by the way. This is all easy to do with out-of-the-box configuration.

Sponsored Links
That sounds impressive and exactly the sort of thing I want to do and thought I could do with lightwave until I found out hk the serious limitations at present with their one way communicating chips.

I didn't know it was possible to get a controller which allows you to mix technology like that. When I spoke to the head of R&D at lightwave they said that z-wave and zigbee was an overkill and consumed more power than was needed and instead went for a 866 MHz solution ( or something like that).

How much did all of your kit cost you of you mind me asking? Any suggestions for the best place to get it (cheaper) as they are more costly than lightwave it seems?

That sounds impressive and exactly the sort of thing I want to do and thought I could do with lightwave until I found out hk the serious limitations at present with their one way communicating chips.

I didn't know it was possible to get a controller which allows you to mix technology like that. When I spoke to the head of R&D at lightwave they said that z-wave and zigbee was an overkill and consumed more power than was needed and instead went for a 866 MHz solution ( or something like that).

How much did all of your kit cost you of you mind me asking? Any suggestions for the best place to get it (cheaper) as they are more costly than lightwave it seems?

I got most of my stuff through Vesternet.com. Great guys. Very helpful and will give you as much help as you need.

Have a look at this page for a comparison of z wave and LightwaveRF: http://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-comparison/lightwaverf-or-z-wave That page kind of assumes it's an either / or choice. But if you go for my setup then you can use both together with a single controller.

Here you go. This pretty much describes my hybrid setup:
http://www.vesternet.com/resources/using-z-wave-and-lightwaverf-together#.VIhm6NJ_t5s

As to costs. My initial setup (controller, RFX module, some switches) cost me about 250. I've added bits over time and have probably spent around 750 by now. Don't really want to add it up in case the wife sees!

Still absolutely nothing compared to the professionally installed systems, which cost 5-10k and still do only a fraction of what mine can.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, I've spoken to Vesternet and will be ordering some products one step at a time (and returning my Lightwave stuff to Amazon), although Lightwave have told me that they will be introducing two way communication soon, but I cannot be bothered to wait.

With respect to some of the lightwave sockets and dimmers, if they are not 2 way at the moment, isnt that impacting your ability to get the status of devices and do other stuff that zwave is currently offering. Aside from the aesthetics, is there any other reason why you still got a few lightwave devices?

Yes - LightwaveRF is one way only, and I really can't see them ever becoming two way.

For me, not having the status of the lights is not a big problem. I have a button for all off by the front door. Similarly, I can turn them on with certain events, like movement in a room, or if the alarm sounds.

The controller will remember the status, based on what it last sent, so having them one-way is generally not a problem. The only thing I find a pain with one-way is that I would like certain things to happen when I press a switch. For example turning on the light in my study would turn on my PC and monitors. The switch being one-way means I can't.

For me the attraction of lightwaveRF is the low price, and the nice look of the switches. That's why I still sometimes use them despite the lack of status.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back